1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Initial impressions....

Holy fuck... what a circlejerk for Michael Clayton and Cate Blanchett. Blanchett nominated for playing Queen Elizabeth again seems a little much.

Emile Hirsch gets massively screwed as Into The Wild gets drilled overall.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was surprised there wasn't more love for Gone Baby Gone...

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anyone ever win two Oscars for two different movies in the same year?

Didn't see Michael Clayton, but Into the Wild deserves more love than it got.

Predictions:
    * Actor -- Daniel Day-Lewis
    * Supporting Actor -- Hal Holbrook
    * Actress -- Julie Christie
    * Supporting Actress -- Cate Blanchett
    * Picture -- There Will Be Blood

4. Mizzougrad96

No way does Barden lose Best Supporting Actor...

Ellen Page should also be a lock...

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

In solidarity with the writers' strike I have decided to pay very little attenton to the Oscars.

At least I have an excuse this year.

6. Mizzougrad96

Other than the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, and the NFL playoffs, I'd rather watch the Oscars than almost any sporting event...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Carrying on Joe Rossi's work:

1. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

8. The Academy made me very happy.

1) Juno-love.
    2) Tommy Lee nominated for the correct movie.
    3) Cate Blanchett nominated for the Highway 61 Bob in "I'm Not There."
    4) Saorise Ronan -- the only good thing about fucking Atonement -- gets the nod.

9. Mizzougrad96

I think some of the supporting performances in Juno should have been recognized... Allison Janney was outstanding, as was J.K. Simmons...

10. dooley_womack1

I'm glad that as with Little Miss Sunshine and Sideways, the Academy gave one of its Best Picture nods to something like Juno that's not so ponderously serious.

11. dooley_womack1

J.K. Simmons...one of the underrated actors of our time.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. He was tremendous in Juno, as always.

The comic book geek in me couldn't resist a movie with J. Jonah Jameson and Kitty Pryde, despite the presence of the big-screen Elektra.

Draft saved Draft deleted