1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar Night 2013

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Feb 24, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ramis died before the Oscars last year was included in the 2014 Memorium.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was surprised when I checked in last night not to see a running Oscars thread. Didn't feel like taking the time to start one myself. Oh well.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It looks like a lot of the big participants aren't around here much any more, like 21 and IJAG, and some of the others, like myself, have kids of an age now where weekend posting isn't too feasible.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

So was I.

The highlights, in my opinion:

1.) A lot of the music segments, especially Lady Gaga with the "Sound of Music" medley, and Tim McGraw with Glen Campbell's nominated last song, "I'm Not Gonna Remember You." Lady Gaga looked, well, normal, and was appropriately and, I think, appreciatively, respectful of some great stuff and was truly amazing. She relied on her talent, alone, and the only reaction, probably, was "Wow." And McGraw's performance hit a lot of people in the heart.

2). Julianne Moore with her acceptance speech for "Best Actress in a Leading Role." See comment about McGraw's performance. Such true, heartfelt words.

3). Neil Patrick Harris' opening performance. I had no idea he could be such a "performer," per se, and I thought he did a good job keeping things moving along well all night, too, except for the awkward "best and whitest, eh, brightest" joke early on. I get it, given the some of the run-up to the Oscars about diversity, and it was a little daring, as intended, I guess. But it really wasn't funny and didn't work, in my opinion.

Overall, it was a really good show, though. I didn't think I'd sit and watch the whole thing, but I did, happily.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I started a thread for post-show thoughts, but regarding your points, Lady Gaga was excellent, but McGraw didn't do anything for me. And he looked dopey with the hat on, particularly since I saw him on the red carpet just before the show started and he wasn't wearing it. Does he need the hat to sing? Does it hold some supernatural power that allows him to perform? Common and John Legend were incredible, I thought, by far the best of the night.

I liked the whitest/brightest joke, as well as the two zingers to the Academy regarding David Oyelowo not getting nominated for best actor ("Here are two people who ABSOLUTELY deserve to be here" and "Oh sure, NOW you like him").

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Shit. Sure didn't seem like a year.......no Joan Rivers FWIW.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The anger and befuddlement generated from the In Memorium segments on these award shows is very strange.

Draft saved Draft deleted