1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar Madison and his impact on our industry.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spaceman, Dec 24, 2012.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Yes, the official "RIP Jack Klugman" thread is elsewhere, but I believe the passing of a giant of this industry is worthy of his own thread.

What influence did Oscar's work have on your own? In what ways did he inspire you? Was it his immense body of work, or his exemplary lifestyle?

Do any of you have stories from the press box about Oscar? What was he like to work with? Do you remember any ledes of Oscar's that have stuck with you over the years?

I can say confidently that Mr. Madison was an early influence in my decision to aspire to seek a career in this business. I am just as confident that many of you feel similarly. This is a separate thread to share stories about the man, the legend: Oscar Madison.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

When single, I had some Oscaresque ideas about housekeeping, but I had to change.

This request came from my wife.

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Senior year of high school, I auditioned for the school play in hopes of winning the role of "Oscar." I had never been in the school theater before. They wanted to give me the role of Murray the Cop. I said "but I don't want to be a cop, I want to be a sportswriter." They convinced me and I took my first acting role. Hung out a lot with one of the "Pigeon sisters" which helped me to achieve another first. Thanks, Jack Klugman.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ray Barone almost made me not want to be a sports writer.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I always figured the Pigeon sisters were carriers.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The obit says "The Odd Couple" started in 1970, but I don't remember watching religiously until the show was in reruns, probably sometime in the '80s, and I was already in the industry. I had always hoped to run into Klugman whenever I was at one of the Southern California racetracks, but I never did.

Yep, Oscar had what I considered the best job ever: another day, gotta go cover another game.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've always wanted to be a reporter. I have to admit the Oscar Madison character created by Neil Simon and perfected by Walter Mathau and Jack Klugman solidified my desire. There have been times when I've been sloppy but efficient like those characters. I've tried to change and have to some extent. So many people, when they find out what I do, ask me Oscar-type questions.
    In general, I'd say the character has been good for the business.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

^^^ That there, kids, is worth the price of admission.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

He didn't.

I became a journalist because of Fletch, Roger Ebert, Metallica, Ted Koppel and the 1994 World Cup.

Don't think I ever watched an entire episode of The Odd Couple.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Ah but he did, he did. Little known fact of the New York sporting scene is that Oscar was standing at the urinal with Bob Sheppard when he came up with the idea of playing "Mister Sandman" by the Chordettes whenever Steve Hamilton came on to pitch in relief for the Yanks. This would be in like '66 or so. The practice later evolved into the use of Metallica's "Enter Sandman" when Mariano Rivera came on to twirl the horsehide.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Got to use the full name, though. They're the "coo-coo" Pigeon sisters.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm a bigger fan of his niece Ashley.

Draft saved Draft deleted