1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar Fashion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wait a second - I said she was a good actress and almost pulled off her look last night! ;D

Oh, yes... she's really moved away from black... it's been all the way since the Button world premiere that she pulled it out.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Lugnuts

First red carpet since twins, all the way back in October:

[​IMG]

3. Lugnuts

Except for the British Film Awards on Feb. 9th.

[​IMG]

4. Lugnuts

This was less than a month ago (Jan 29) in Tokyo:

[​IMG]

Yeah... she's really moved off the black.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I hadn't seen her in it until the Oscars. I'm sooooooooooooooooo sorry, and I still think you're full of it on the Jen thing.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

So it's true then ... apparently, Angelina never went back.

7. Lugnuts

Fair enough.

Look, black is Jolie's go-to color. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. "Goth" is not a knock, by the way. I've definitlely gone through my goth phases.

My point was simply that it was fairly predictable what color she would wear.

Geez! I'm like persona non grata among the women-folk of sj these days.

This is just funnin' ladies.....

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

See, it's actually a three-way insecurity thing, which is what makes it so fascinating. Men who identify with Pitt can see their own insecurities in him. Maybe they want to be the guy who marries the cute, funny, but boring cheerleader, that everyone loves and everyone thinks is perfect. But some of those same men are also frightened enough of that existence that they identify with Pitt because they too could see themselves trading in Aniston for a younger, sexier, more dangerous wife, especially one who will do freaky things in bed and indulge his vanity own projects. And even though that's narcissistic and a little pathetic, it speaks to the desire to stay cool and young and interesting as men grow older.

With Aniston, you can see some women identify with her because it seems totally unfair that you can be nice, funny, and America's sweetheart and still have your prince of a husband snatched away from you by an evil temptress simply because you're not quite ready to put aside your professional ambitions and have children (or because you're not comfortable with freaky sex, or whatever). And the fact that some handsome, powerful men tend to freak out and trade in security for intrigue and excitement as they grow older also seems unfair, but it happens, so you could definitely see how some women might project themselves onto Aniston's situation.

For Jolie, there are tons of women who really didn't fit the mold of the perky high school cheerleader whom everyone loved, so in some ways the fact that she snatched Pitt away from Little Miss Perfect is like the ultimate revenge for every girl who was a little bit dark, a little bit outsider, and a little bit wild, but still had a crush on the class hunk from afar. And because she's got all kinds of weird dad issues, and is a little insecure about her own craziness, she flaunts her relationship with Pitt and does tacky things like the W photo shoot to rub it in and mock all the perky cheerleaders who seemed to have it so easy in high school, but lost in the end to the girl with black eyeliner who really cared about the rain forests.

Everyone is a little insecure in the scenario, and everyone wanted to have a little piece of the fantasy.

That's what makes it far more interesting than the way it's usually presented, which is "Handsome Guy" chooses "Bad Girl" over "Good Girl."

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I recently heard Carrie Fisher compare the Angelina/Jen thing to the infamous rivalry between Liz Taylor and Carrie's mom Debbie Reynolds, with Eddie Fisher in the middle. Pretty good analogy.

Jen is TV sitcoms and romantic comedy, Angelina is (snif) Film.

Does anyone really care about this? Do you think they read the sports pages?

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Double Down,
    What if I identify more with Aniston because I've seen almost her entire body of work, jumping off the fact that I'm a huge Friends fan?
    I really haven't bothered to see a lot of Jolie's stuff, because her script choices don't interest me.
    Frankly, I prefer to keep my movie-watching light and fluffy ... Aniston-style, if you will. If I'm looking to be intellectually challenged, I'll read.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I don't really care about Aniston and Jolie. My only thought is that it was tacky of Angelina to go after Brad when she knew full well he was married. Everyone in the western hemisphere knew he was married.

Anyway. I thought Anne Hathaway and Kate Winslet were the best dressed. They ALWAYS look gorgeous. I also loved Amy Adams' ensemble. Meryl Streep looked classy as always.

I actually wasn't noticing Goldie Hawn during the supporting actress thing, but Whoopi Goldberg. My god, she looked pregnant in that dress. She's definitely put on weight. However, I did think her speech to Amy was funny. "It ain't easy being a nun." Hahahahaha.

Draft saved Draft deleted