1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather fight / HBO 24/7 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Who is going to win the upcoming superfight between Oscar DLH & Floyd Mayweather?

1. Oscar by KO

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. Oscar by decision

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Draw

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Floyd by KO

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Floyd by decision

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

I will accept that but with more pop & less defense that Gatti

Still Oscar looked really good.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Gatti/Ward...now THAT was a good fight

3. John D. Villarreal

TREMENDOUS 3 fight series!!

Love that. Two guys willing to trade toe to toe and put it all on the line.

Definately one of the classics.

Although, my favorite 3 rounds of all time was Hagler Hearns.

THAT was a straight war. EXPLOSIVE action!

JDV

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Here's two links (part I and part II) to a conference call with Oscar which took place this week:

Part I: http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=10776&more=1

Part II: http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=10777&more=1

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

What punch knocked out Hearns in the third fight? I was watching it, but couldn't find anything.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

If you're talking about Hagler-Hearns, it was a stepping-into-it right hand by Hagler while Hearns was stationed against the ropes. That was the punch that dropped Hearns and had the fight stopped on TKO

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

That's the one, but what fight am I talking about where Hearns goes for a walk around the ring and his opponent bops him in the back of the head? I didn't understand that fight in which punch got him.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That sounds a lot like Hagler-Hearns. Hearns stumbles around the ring, and Hagler tracks him down and hits him with a solid right which looks like it's to the back of the head, but it's actually on the jaw.

9. John D. Villarreal

Yes, its Hagler / Hearn's and they only had one fight that lasted three vicious rounds and ended with Hearns reeling and stumbling around the ring from a Hagler inside shot culminating with Hagler landing a running blow to the head/chin that put Hearns down for the count.

Hearns had to be carried out of the ring a believe (or at least around for some time) in his handlers arms.

Best 3 rounds of boxing ever. First round is certainly best round ever.

JDV

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

20 boxing experts pick the winner of De La Hoya vs Mayweather (scroll down to second piece on the page):

http://www.thering-online.com/ringpages/ringupdate.html

11. John D. Villarreal

Good catch/post Rok

I agree with Finkle. He is basically echoing my reasoning:

Shelley Finkel (manager): “I don’t have any firm conviction, but I’m leaning toward Oscar to win. Since Floyd has moved up in weight, he hasn’t been able to hurt anyone. Oscar is the biggest guy he’s ever fought. He’s also a lot faster than what Floyd is used to. Oscar has got to be aggressive and not allow Floyd to move in and out. This comes down to a great big guy versus a great little guy. Look at Bernard Hopkins against Oscar. A similar thing could happen here, but I expect Oscar to win a decision.”

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted