1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather fight / HBO 24/7 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Who is going to win the upcoming superfight between Oscar DLH & Floyd Mayweather?

1. Oscar by KO

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. Oscar by decision

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Draw

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Floyd by KO

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Floyd by decision

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

He hasn't been left for dead, he's lost two of his last four and one of the victories (over Felix Sturm) was a gift decision. He was never THAT good to begin with. He's not like Muhammad Ali where he's consistently proving people wrong. The guy hasn't won a superfight since he defeated Ike Quartey eight years ago.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We'll see. I still think he steps up here.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I hope you're right, SG. I have to pick PBF right now, though.

4. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

SG, I agree

Just watched 24/7 again, the Judah/PBF, and the ODL/Vargas fights again and I am feeling the ODL surge.

Here are my reasons for giving Oscar the edge:

1.) Floyd's camp is in disarray (who is training him?, fam tensions, no one says no to Floyd, distractions & playtime)

2.) Oscar is bigger
    3.) Oscar is stronger
    4.) Oscar is taller
    5.) Oscar has more experience
    6.) Oscar can take more punishment and has been tested in big battles. Oscar fires back when hit, Floyd does not like to get hit
    7.) Oscar's camp & training partners are better

To be sure, Floyd has his edges: speed, youth, good style, and Dad was former trainer for Oscar to give him tips/inside info.

Still, if Floyd can't hurt Oscar (which I think he will have problems doing) or can't stick and move (ala Ali, Sugar Ray) than Floyd is in deep trouble.

Let's talk about what we all agree upon:

1.) Floyd can be hurt by guys that are not that big (Zab Judah, etc.). Floyd was stung REPEATEDLY in that fight & outspeeded by Judah. Judah has pop & speed but he is no monster puncher. This now goes up another weight class.

2.) Floyd does not like to get hit & shuts down a lot when he is stung. Does not fight well going back.

3.) We all know Oscar can hurt him, Oscar banged out a juiced bigger Vargas & is coming down from 160. All things being equal good big man meets good small man & good big man wins.

4.) Floyd is fast and tricky but he can be found and likes to trade. Oscar will be able to hit him.

Lots more angles/equations to add but basically here is what is boils down to:

PBF has to either hurt Oscar bad or rack up points and avoid serious damage. While, I can see PBF racking up rounds I don't like his odds of him hurting Oscar and I think when that bears out Oscar puts pressure, wears him down & bangs him out. Oscar has more heart and technical skills. He has more ways to win this fight (jab, left hook, right hand, body shots/wearing him down) PBF has one or two (lucky shot, point decision).

I don't see either really gassing out so conditioning is not a factor most likely. Thus, it comes down to damage. To really feel Floyd wins you have to believe he can hit harder or take more than Oscar (which he can't) or that Oscar can't get to him (which he can) or he gets lucky (which he might).

Well, its Vargas & they have odds for that. I'll take Oscar.

JDV

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Hey dude

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

You forgot 8) Oscar loses most of the big fights he's in.

You don't see either gassing up? When was the last big fight Oscar had that went the distance and he didn't get tired? He lasted six rounds against Mosley, Sturm and Trinidad and possibly four against Hopkins. Floyd made a great point when he quipped that if Oscar is always in his best shape why does he always get tired?

I think people are overthinking this fight too much. Oscar hasn't thrown a combination against a meaningful opponent since...ever... and he leaves himself too open for the double jab to defend himself against someone with superior handspeed like PBF.

He's going to come into the fight looking for the one punch because that's all he's done in the last ten years, he's lose round after round looking for the one punch and he'll get frustrated when he doesn't find it.

7. John D. Villarreal

Yo,

I see some weak dudes posting on this thread trying to get some heat & making up stuff as they go hoping its true when everyone here already knows its not.

The thing that is hilarious is my life is great. I back up EVERYTHING I say & there is NOTHING left to say about that. Every single time fools tried to contest me they got F'd over and over and over & everything I said checked out (especially on the women). Yet, some can't find enough windmills to tilt at, while their lives crumble, and false delusions of grandeur/power go up in smoke.

I laugh hard at those fools. Cool peeps get to jump on board the bus & join the party. As anyone who has PM'd me or asked for a favor can tell you I am cool & hook them up very courteously. Moreover, as many know I love to help people out. The real strength of this board and really all professional networks (or any positive relationships) should be to help each other out and build each other up. I like to learn from others, hook ppl up, and get hooked up from cool peeps. That is how we all get better.

Yet, haters keep stewing in the shi@ they spew.

I could answer the VERY lame posts individually and destroy the posters (as I have many times before) but why bother it would be a massacre and waste of my time & a great thread.

I should wear some of the PBF shirts "I hate haters."

I love that!!

Nothing you say changes my life or the facts. Suffice to say if you hate on me chances are you are a loser with nothing going on in your sad little life.

Your playbook is so weak, so lame, so repetitive (same 2-3 jokes/shots (they didn't work then why do you think they are going to work the 100th time?)) and so negative it is pathetic. You think you have "friends" here...but you don't & even if you did IT DOESN'T MATTER clowns. You think you're "respected" but most of your jobs suck (when you can hold onto them). You think you're "clever" but I outsmart you EVERY time and many of your posts contradict themselves or display your ignorance on a subject in plain view. You take it all so seriously when I often am having fun and care little (as my post count proves). You think you are "tolerant & liberal/enlightened" yet you are so damn intolerant ESPECIALLY of anyone else having a freakin good time in life and feeling good about themselves bc you feel like crap.

Certainly, I would rather be me then you.

Last but not least I am a meritocritous person and don't put limits to talent/knowledge. However, there are certain "laws of physics" to life. And one certainly applies to this board. No offense to my cool young friends/fellow posters here but I am so sick of the 17-25 yr old hater crowd here putting up posts like they are "all knowing experts/gods" especially as to me or my life when NONE of them have any clue as to the world I deal in or are anywhere near my education level. I mean bottom line is this, unless you are some prodigy at that age you don't friggin know much and haven't done anything of real importance. That is just the way it is. And I don't envision many child prodigies wasting their time putting up hater posts on SportsJournalists.com.

Actually I love the hate, basking in it. Proves who is pulling the strings.

Ha ha ha

However, as much as I love to tease and punk the haters - my good deed tip for the day is this: Haters all that negativity is ruining you, not hurting me in the least, and not helping you one bit. In fact, it is hindering you from achieving your goals.

Don't say I didn't try to help.

JDV

8. John D. Villarreal

Come on that's crazy. Oscar is a great champion and has proven that so many times. No, he is not "the best ever" but most of the top guys have lost to various guys. Oscar only loses to the very best.

Basically, you are making my point PBF can only win a point/flash game. Sure anyone can land a lucky shot, which may happen. But look at how Baldomir walked through Floyd's punches and that was at 147.

But here is what's up. Floyd can be hit and has been hit and stung/hurt in many fights. Oscar will hit Floyd. That is going to happen. Oscar hit Mosley who is at least as fast as PBF. So, take that off the table.

Oscar is technically better than PBF. Advantage Oscar.

Oscar has fought ALL the top comp and has ducked nobody (unlike Floyd and Margarito (what about Floyd's "street cred" - lol))

Oscar won vs Vargas (mega-fight) and destroyed Mayorga who is a bigger guy and much bigger puncher than PBF.

Look at the press conferences Oscar is so much bigger than PBF - its a joke. Floyd has come up from 130!. I hear that Oscar may come in the ring at 170!!

I see this fight looking a lot like Hopkin's/ODL, ODL/Quartay, Chavez/Taylor, Hopkins/Taylor 1 (but worse for PBF), or even ODL/Vargas or ODL/Mayorga

Again, best reasonable case for PBF is this works out like ODL/Mosley.

Floyd only wins one way: on pure offense when he is faster than the other guy.

ODL has won almost every single way (points, knockouts, coming from behind, wars, on offense, on defense, changing styles mid fight, etc.)

Again, anything can happen in a fight but smart observers of the sport have to like ODL

JDV

9. John D. Villarreal

Note on the poll:

The people that voted for PBF to win by knockout are crazy!!!

Definitely save your money and don't bet that line.

JDV

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Are you capable of making a post in fewer than 3,000 words?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He's lost four. Two to Mosley.

And the worst record for any one of his opponents since he won his first title in 1994 was 47-8-1.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

And the second fight with Mosley and the fight with Trinidad are highly disputed decisions. Mosley beat him the first time and Hopkins obviously beat him. On the other hand, he was lucky with the Strum fight, getting the decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted