1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather fight / HBO 24/7 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Who is going to win the upcoming superfight between Oscar DLH & Floyd Mayweather?

1. Oscar by KO

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. Oscar by decision

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Draw

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Floyd by KO

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Floyd by decision

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. Bald Bull

Bald Bull New Member

Margarito is slow and has looked like dogshit ever since the Cintron fight. Got a big break (literally) when Clottey hurt his hand. He's fortunate to get the lighter-punching Williams because Cotto would've blown him out.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think you and your brother will be shocked by how sad Margarito looks against real competition. He's so slow, his punches are horrifically wide and loaded and he doesn't utilize his jab enough. Williams is as big, as tall and far more technically sound thanks to his wonderful jab and that ridiculous 82" reach. He could hit Margarito from across the ring :)

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Mayweather should not give Mosley a shot.

fuck him. He's a yes man and a sell out.

If I were him I'd go back down in weight and continue cleaning it out. You can forget about hatton - He can't compete with Mayweather's raw talent and he never seen that type of talent.

Ask Oscar.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

It was a pretty dull and boring match ::), especially with Mayweather dominating the last rounds.
    De La Hoya was not in good enough shape to fight him. De La Hoya needs to work on his conditioning before he takes the ring again.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://sjl.funnyordie.com/v1/view_video.php?viewkey=c48fbf47535e888c02ae

As you can see here, DLH is still going to have the last laugh.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I watched the fight again, with Lampley's cheerleading muted.

Either 6-5-1 for Oscar or a 6-6 draw. I originally scored it 7-5 PBF.

That said, I don't have a problem with the decision. It all depends on what criteria you look for in your scoring.

Cansportschick - De La Hoya often fades/coasts in the late rounds. Might just be a flaw in his conditioning or cardio capacity.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the fight - I would have given a standing eight count to both Larry Merchant and Floyd Sr. I have a lot of respect for Oscar - he doesn't need to fight any more and I thought he aquitted himself well. As for the split decision - I hope the judge scoring for OD was seated where he wasn't able to notice that Oscar's frequent shots on Floyd when he cornered him in the front left corner weren't scoring - anyway it was interesting - AND NO DON KING!

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In a room that was mostly DHL fans, I had Mayweather winning 116-112.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The PPV did 2.1 million buys on first count (this could rise to 2.2 when all the numbers are finalized). This is a new record, eclipsing the mark set by Tyson-Holyfield II.

The PPV revenue was $120+ million, eclipsing the mark of Holyfield-Lewis (not sure which fight, I or II).

Incredible figures. The event set a number of records. I don't have a link yet, sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted