1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O's fire Perlozzo, hire MacPhail to run team; Girardi turns down managing job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: Orioles fire Perlozzo; Girardi turns down the job, his agent says

<a href="http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=sports&id=5408975">
    According to Girardi's agent, he has turned the job down. Good decision on his part, in my opinion. He can do much better than this. Does MacPhail go with old reliable Dusty Baker at this point?</a>

2. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Re: O's fire Perlozzo, hire MacPhail to run team; Girardi turns down managing jo

I've heard from reliable sources that his name didn't have enough Z's to merit consideration.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Rock on, Leo. :)

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If Davey Johnson doesn't want, just do what FH said ... stick with Trembley. No reason not to.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm pretty sure Girardi thinks he's going to be managing the Yankees next season.

6. boots

boots New Member

That would be nice, except George happens to like a guy named Don Mattingly much better for that position.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I wouldn't count on that just yet Bootsie.

Plus, I did say "Girardi thinks he's going to be maning the Yankees next season."

8. boots

boots New Member

And we both have been around Yankee land long enough to know that doesn't mean anything. Then again, it could mean something.
    In other words, it's the Yankees, damn it.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, that and would you want Peter Angelos as your boss? Not a great track record this past decade.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Girardi didn't take the Nationals job either. Maybe he doesn't like that part of the country (or wants more money; or wants to be the Yankees manager; or with a team closer to the playoffs).

Baker supposedly wants a job on the West Coast (yay! keep him out of Baltimore).

Davey Johnson wants this job. Does he still have it?

Rick Dempsey wants this job. Badly. I believe he is going to be interviewed for it.

And Andy McPhail supposedly took his job with the understanding he has control ... which would be nice to see all the Angeloses out of the picture. We'll see if that ends up being the case ...

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why would any sort of self-respecting manager take the Orioles job? Angelos is going to meddle, making it difficult for any manager to do the job.

12. I'm hoping Gillick will be smart enough to make a play for Girardi, but Pat Gillick doing something smart at this point is like asking R. Kelly to stay away from junior high dances.

Draft saved Draft deleted