1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O's fire Perlozzo, hire MacPhail to run team; Girardi turns down managing job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Buster Olney says that MacPhail has been hired to run the Orioles and that it is likely he'll try to replace manager Sam Perlozzo with Joe Girardi.
    <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2907704">
    Here's the link to the story on the Web site.</a>

It's interesting that the tight-fisted Angelos is apparently willing to eat the rest of Perlozzo's contract.

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Re: ESPN: Orioles hire Andy MacPhail

Perlozzo should have been fired when he took the guy out at Fenway a few weeks ago with a five-run lead after eight and a pitch count, I believe, in the mid-80s.

For those who forgot that one, Sawx 6, O's 5.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: ESPN: Orioles hire Andy MacPhail

Eh, if your bullpen can't get two outs then your manager isn't the problem. At least in that game. There were enough other games where Perlozzo was the problem.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Re: ESPN: Orioles hire Andy MacPhail; Perlozzo may be replaced by Girardi

Are defending the decision that BigDog is describing above?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm saying that if you're up 5-0 and your bullpen can't get two outs, I'm not sure it's the manager's fault. It was Guthrie's third start of the season I believe, after coming out of the bullpen mostly, and he was up to 91 pitches. His arm wasn't stretched out the way most starter's arms are at that point. It's not to say Perlozzo was a good manager. He wasn't. He was downright terrible at times. But like I said, if your bullpen can't get two outs without giving up six runs, at least in that instance, you can't put too much blame on the manager.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

1 p.m. news conference - AP reports Perlozzo has been fired.

7. ScottyDan

ScottyDan Member

It would be nice to see the Orioles get something right for a change. God, this was such a great franchise in the 70s and 80s.

8. ondeadline

Re: AP: Orioles fire Perlozzo; ESPN: MacPhail to run team, wants to hire Girardi

Bullpen coach Dave Trembley will be the interim manager, according to AP.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Re: AP: Orioles fire Perlozzo; ESPN: MacPhail to run team, wants to hire Girardi

I'm a bit prejudiced, but I wish somebody, sometime, would give Dave Trembley a complete shot at managing a big-league team. He's been putting in his time since the mid-'80s, and he knows the game inside and out.

I also once saw him go on a base-swiping, dirt-kicking umpire tantrum matched only by Phil Wellman.

10. ondeadline

There has been no mention of MacPhail at the press conference.

11. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Re: Orioles fire Perlozzo; ESPN: MacPhail to run team, wants to hire Girardi

Folks were saying the same thing about Perlozzo a couple of years ago.

I can't believe there's any way in the world Girardi would come near this job.

12. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Re: Orioles fire Perlozzo; ESPN: MacPhail to run team, wants to hire Girardi

What of Mazzone, now that his childhood buddy is canned?

Draft saved Draft deleted