1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ortiz, ManRam tested positive in 2003?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jul 30, 2009.

1. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

This certainly affects Manny's HOF chances.
    He might not have gotten in anyway, but now with two positive tests --- six years apart --- he now has about as good a shot as McGwire and Palmeiro.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You're right.
    Huge fanboi. Get pissed when people say any bad word about the Sawx. Would fight you on the spot if you said Schilling's bloody sock was staged.
    Or maybe I just like people who use logic in arguments. Using quotes out of context gets a lot of people in trouble and shows stupidity. Can't wait to read the sports pages tomorrow to see all the ignorant columnists who are going to point to that press conference without realizing what questions were being asked and what he was talking about and apparently, dreunc, you have no idea either.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rhody, Ortiz knew he had used them when he made those comments. Even if he was specifically talking only about steroid use after MLB's policy was in place, it was still hypocritical of him to say that.

4. outofplace

His credentials are better than either McGwire or Palmeiro, so that isn't really true.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I find it funny that the guys who have spoken out against steroids in strong tones -- Raffy, Papi and the like -- have been burned, either by use after the comment (Palmeiro) or by a positive test coming up from past seasons (Ortiz). Looking back, I think McGwire might have actually handled it the best by not saying a word about it, then quickly fading from the limelight.

p.s. That wasn't blood on Schilling's soc, it was ketchup.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

So it's not hyprocritical for him to condemn those that use them as long as he's only talking about the people who use them while there is drug testing. Makes perfect sense. Or you're a fanboi who can't admit that a player on the team he likes was being a hypocrite. I pick the latter.

7. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Well, that's not really the debate though is it?
    Both McGwire and Palmeiro have undeniable Hall of Fame numbers, right? Hell, Palmeiro has over 500 home runs AND 3,000 hits. That's ELITE, ELITE company. But is he going to get in? Is McGwire?

So why would Manny be any different?

8. outofplace

Because the closer to the borderline you get, the less likely a steroid user is to get in. They aren't all going to be kept out.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In fact, I think Bonds gets in largely because he already had HOF numbers before he took one shot in the ass.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Funny how, every few months, the NYT releases another name or two. Personally, I think they have the list in a glass case with a hammer, marked "In case of slow news day, break glass." It's in a vault, like a missile silo. Two editors each have a key that has to be turned simultaneously, and a panel slides back to reveal the list.

11. Mistersixthree

Mistersixthree New Member

They just need to release the remaining names on that list. I bet some Yankees are on there as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Jeter found his way onto that list. Who can we trust?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's not that slow a news day. There's still the trade deadline and the Minaya debacle.

Draft saved Draft deleted