1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orr to Bowling Green

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

My sister is an '88 BG grad, so...
    " Ay Ziggy Zoomba Zoomba Zoomba
    Ay Ziggy Zoomba Zoomba Ze
    Ay Ziggy Zoomba Zoomba Zoomba
    Ay Ziggy Zoomba Zoomba Zi
    Roll along, you B-G warriors
    Roll along, and win for B-G-S-U."

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What the hell is DP? I'm betting that that wasn't there when I was in Athens. I hiked uphill to burn the calories I would be drinking later in advance.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

No problem. Orr had decent talent for the Big East. The university (and new AD, I think) just wasn't thrilled about his classes because he couldn't keep local talent. Quite a few say Hall made a bad move ditching him. Like I said, I fully expect he'll do well in the MAC.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Hell, my fiancee has been north of the Mason-Dixon all of three times -- and FMR, as much as you'd like to think so, she's never been to Ohio.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Point in her favor :D

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

DP Dough was the devil, delivery calzones with healthy choices like philly cheese steak and buffalo chicken (complete with ranch dressing inside).

I drove to BG once for a game and nearly fell asleep while driving, thanks to a late night coupled with the endless horizon.

7. The only thing decent about Bowling Green is it is 15 minutes away from UT.

Go Rockets, Beat BG!

8. chester

chester Member

Scooter McDougal will give you 10-1 odds it ain't happening.

9. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Louis Orr is a wonderful human being and a solid basketball coach. He did plenty at Seton Hall.

I've talked basketball with him and he never brought up Jesus.

Any coach who takes the BG job will have trouble recruiting with their antiquated facilities. Dakich was also a good X and O basketball coach. He recruited some good players but didn't retain enough of them. Orr's style will be a welcome change, but he'll have some of the same challenges getting players to go there.

As an outsider who now lives in Ohio, I don't think Athens is anything to write home about. It's better looking than BG, but so what? There still isn't anything to do there and you are even further from anything that could be considered civilization.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you don't get the Athens thing, you aren't paying attention.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

slowcenter might be the only person Louis has ever talked to without bringing up Jesus.

He was a successful coach at Siena (think he won the MAAC and got them to the tourney once) before taking the Seton Hall job and also was an assistant to Boeheim for a few years before that... working primarily with the big men.
    His low-key personality is not well-suited to a Big East type situation but he can coach and he is a very good guy. and will do well back on the mid-major level.
    His problems at Seton included his disdain for having to schmooz the boosters and alums who might be willing to put some money into the program.

In his days as a forward at Syracuse, he teamed with center Roosevelt Bouie on what was known as the "Louie and Bouie Show"

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I was just going to post the same thing. I only dealt with him a few times, but the one press conference I sat in on he gave praise to Jesus for nearly a minute before beginning his spiel about the game that his team had just choked away.

Draft saved Draft deleted