1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

If the Sentinel is looking for high school or college kids to call in a couple of grafs or stats, then no experience is required. I wouldn't call this a sign of anything.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe... But the timing is pretty funny... Not funny ha ha...

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a sign, all right.

Some kind of combination of "Keep Off The Grass" and "No Trespassing" . . . if you want to get paid.

4. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

From the youngblackjournalists list-serve:

I am happy to announce that the Orlando Sentinel's KYLE HIGHTOWER is now one of the paper's NBA writers... He has been covering the University of Central Florida since 2005. In addition to being the backup Orlando Magic writer, Kyle's new duties will include the weekly insider column, a blog and other multimedia.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

All (piling on to Matt's post): There's lots of crappy news out there right now, but this isn't a manifestation of it. Papers all over Florida (and many others, I'm sure) recruit stringers to cover high school sports, particularly football. I've had a few who could spell, and that was about it.

This isn't a call for full-timers. It's a call for people who have a car so they can drive to games, can communicate reasonably and will show up. And No. 2 will be dicey for some people they get.

6. Mizzougrad96

One of the names, that at this point has got to be the worst kept secret anywhere, is a huge one.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So which of the vets covering the Magic has been shown the door? Or is one of them, Brian Schmitz or Tim Povtak, being respectfully rewarded with a promotion? Right, sure.

Helluva way to catch your big career break, and to have it celebrated by your peeps, stepping in for a still-warm body who didn't want to go.

8. Mizzougrad96

It's not Kyle's fault. It's too bad that announcement couldn't be kept under wraps until the other guy is out the door, but these things happen.

The word out of Orlando is that Hoppes is handling this as well as anyone possibly could. That's when you know the staff loves the SE.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm just saying, if someone dances on my job grave before the dirt even gets packed down with a few final shovel whacks, someone probably is going to get socked in the eye.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't think anyone is dancing in Orlando right now.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

For better or for worse, that's just the way of the business world, not just the journalism industry.

One man's (or one woman's) misfortune is somebody else's big break. That's often the way it happens.

There will be some previously unforeseen or, perhaps, even, some undeserving or less-qualified/less experienced people who are likely to be getting some really great opportunities, and beats, in the coming months and years.

Ones for which they may otherwise have had to wait, and work, for years, but now, may not have to sit so tight or try so hard. Not their fault, and it'll be a great thing for them. It's just the way it is now.

The fewer people there are around/in the way (depending on your point of view) in newsrooms, the more this will happen, almost by default.

If you are one of the ones who survives cuts, you could potentially be doing a lot of really great stuff in the absence of others who might have previously done it.

12. Mizzougrad96

As much as it is going to suck to watch one of Orlando's top writers be shown the door, in no way should the kid replacing him be blamed for that.

That's just ridiculous...

Now, if he has a blog and he's bragging about it, that might be another story...

Draft saved Draft deleted