1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He stayed long enough to count as one of the sports bodies but this was definitely his choice.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He and Staples were the best on that beat IMO. I'm guessing here, but I'll bet Fowler is the replacement.

3. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Why not Hightower?

4. ateri

ateri New Member

Fowler's great. Started at Florida Today as a killer intern. Let's not forget Fla Today's David Jones in that best-on-the-beat discussion. He was superior to Staples. Certainly broke more news.

Love Curtis' writing.

Best wishes to folks in Orlando, though I think the sports section is the country's most overrated. People should read more papers: lots have interesting staff content year-round. Orlando is all about APSE, never about the readers. I used to live 5 miles outside the city and remain a subscriber. There was only one Van, and the sections in recent years are not up to his standards. They go for sizzle but there's no substance, including their completely unfunny page 2 and their hokey college football special sections.

Oh, I know it wins APSE every year. And? Did it connect with readers? Nope. Did it make loads of money? Nope. But it impressed a bunch of sports editors, and at the Sentinel, that's what it's all about.

Heard a convention speaker say this the other day at MPI: the sports departments who care about APSE contests are the ones missing the boat these days.

Couldn't agree more

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have to agree with much of that. Orlando always has been a cotton candy paper to me. Usually something interesting to catch your eye . . . but rarely gave the reader a complete plate of everything that went on in the sports world the previous day.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So Tampa and Orlando will have new writers on Gators this fall. Any other changes on the beat?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A sad postscript to another set of Tribune layoffs, the ones in the IT department from a few weeks back.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/crime/orl-duquette-dead-070508,0,2132974.story

8. The one coming down in Orlando is going to dwarf the Carter situation in Tampa.

The difference, of course, is Orlando is handling it better. Not that these things are ever handled well.

9. From the back page of today's Sports section:

"VARSITY

Seeking Writers
    Are you interested in helping the
    Sentinel cover high school sports,
    especially football? Then please
    contact high school sports
    editor . . . No experience is
    required."

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it will be five in sports - not sure how much wiggle room they'll have on that.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just touches your heart, doesn't it?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... There was a day not too long ago where breaking in with the Sentinel preps staff was a prelude to a pretty incredible career in journalism, an opportunity given to some of the best young writers in the business...

Draft saved Draft deleted