1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I don't care what time of the year it is, five pages is insufficient for a metro sports section. My little-bitty paper rarely has fewer than six for sports.

2. Supposedly one of the NBA guys are on their way out.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One are, huh?

Let's not try to overspeculate on people getting tossed.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most of the rumors have been veteran guys. I don't see Hoppes getting rid of one of his wunderkinds.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe two copy editors is leaving.

6. Mizzougrad96

If any of the rumors are true, I'm going to have some good friends jobless today.

It fucking sucks.

7. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

There are only two NBA writers, so I think it's unfair to speculate as well, but I think we'll know by the end of the day who takes the fall.

8. Mizzougrad96

The national jobs and the beat sharing jobs are usually the first to go these days, but I can't imagine Orlando without two NBA writers.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I keep looking at this thread and I'm so happy it hasn't picked up steam. I know layoffs are coming, but these days, I cherish the moments where we don't have one.
    Good luck to all of those in Orlando.

10. Mizzougrad96

Ditto... Hang in there guys...

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Two NBA writers for one team in an awful market is plenty, probably one too many.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Huge difference between "plenty" and "one too many." "Plenty" means the joint sticks with the two people it has, while demanding more blogs and video and mailbags and 24/7 coverage from a beat requiring crazy-ass travel. "One too many" means all that ambition and tech-no-logical innovation gets dumped on one person, who already ain't getting rich (or possibly even raises).

This sort of stuff -- shedding manpower even while claiming to make the transition to the Web, without acknowledging any sacrifices in the paper product or (not that this ever matters) the working conditions or staff morale -- is what puts the lie to the suits' "vision" of the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted