1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Look what we write if someone is let go after being someplace 10 weeks.

See what we say about someone getting laid off after 10 years?

And, don't forget how we feel about losing all the institutional knowledge, dedication to the company and good work of 100 years, whenever the really long-time veterans are ushered out the door.

I've said it before, but this is like asking someone, "Which one of your children would you like us to kill?"

Even trying to do things fairly and justly by making decisions based on performance can be subjective and depend largely upon the opinions and values of whomever is sitting in judgment.

There are just no good moves here, just people trying to pick the lesser of two evils when, really, there isn't one.

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Charles Apple's blog over at visualeditors.com has an update on both those designer layoffs. While a terrible situation for a couple of very talented journalists, both sound optimistic about their options. One even suggested she might join her boyfriend in Australia.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

They just take it out of the final check they are going to hand you. If you're getting next-to-no severance, maybe they had you a bill for the negative balance and hope that you're stupid.

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

You're kidding about getting back moving expenses---right?!

If you knew who else Orlando had hired recently, you'd know what I mean about the hiring managers

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Orlando is just like every other paper now, wandering in the dark and teetering on unreadable.

6. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

I was kidding about the moving expenses.

Who else has Orlando hired recently?

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Not any worse than laying off a reporter in her second week.

Hello Greensboro!

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I hear 50 or so news people are out. That, according to the Sentinel itself. But I've yet to hear of any names in sports or elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted