1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, the rumors are true.
    Not sure of the exact numbers but it is expected to be in the 50-range in the news room. Sports will take a hit, not sure how big. I'm pretty sure the staff there is down a bit already.
    Anybody with more concrete details, feel free to drop me a PM - won't be on much today but I'll get it tonight.

Was talking to a non-newspaper person about the business last night and he said, "It seems like every day I'm reading about another paper losing people."

Yeah, we know.

I may have posted this on one of the other threads but sticking with Florida: Meeting Tuesday in Tampa, cuts start on Wednesday and will be done over several weeks. Management to be included. Total? About 20 percent, but I think that includes those already gone through the buyouts.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Horrible and inevitable. Along with the cuts at Daytona Beach, this would seem to indicate that the section of Florida along I-4 between those two cities simply is not going to be covered by any daily newspaper. Good news for thieving local officials.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Huh? There are five daily newspapers covering the 140-mile Interstate 4 corridor -- St. Petersburg Times, Tampa Tribune, Lakeland Ledger, Orlando Sentinel and Daytona Beach News Journal. Six dailies, if you count the Winter Haven News Chief, which gets up that way a little bit.

Your larger point is well-taken -- cutbacks are bad for a free society, good for corruption -- but a tad overstated in this case.

Even so, good luck to everyone at all of those papers.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was not clear. I meant the section between Orlando and Daytona. Daytona eliminated its bureaus in that region, and I'm guessing Orlando is doing the same.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I missed the "between those two cities" part. My apologies ... I assumed facts not in evidence.

The whole I-4 corridor -- the route between Daytona Beach and Tampa -- is sort of a hot topic here in the Sunshine State. Lots of growth and development, demographics that serve as a bellwether for national politics, an increasing amount traffic that might be a catalyst for rapid transit, etc. I can't imagine either paper would reduce coverage in this area, despite losing bureaus. My guess is that they'll find other beats for cutbacks.

It's not good news. Glad I'm out of the newspaper biz. Can't imagine what it's like going to work everyday, seeing people waiting for the other shoe to drop. I still connect with former colleagues from time to time, and it's depressing, folks. Two are on medication, and I'd swear a third is fashioning a noose for himself in preparation for a private afternoon in the garage.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the few times I hate to be right... This has been rumored for awhile.

It's one of my favorite sections and I hope they can get their number without eliminating too many positions in sports.

Orlando is one of the few papers that you can pick up on a Wednesday in the middle of the summer, when most papers have baseball and a shitload of AP copy and have several, really interesting staff-generated stories. I've always really respected that.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

But at least the paper has a new design!

Sickening.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It has been rather common knowledge since the Zell news conference last month. Tribune papers are going to take 20-25% newsroom bite.

So no need to do an "OMG!!!" when the Sun-Sentinel follows suit in a week or two.

9. Mizzougrad96

True. It still is an amazing fall since as recently as a few years ago, most would have considered Tribune Co. one of the best chains to work for.

I've heard rumors about two sports writers who are widely rumored to be gone in Orlando (I don't know if it's buyouts or layoffs, but either would be a huge loss to the section.)

How many DSEs does The Sentinel still have? I know at one point it was 10 or 11.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Frankly, I'm surprised the number isn't bigger.

Orlando competes with NO ONE for ad revenue or readership.

11. Mizzougrad96

They're telling people that five are gone in sports. I talked to someone else who said it could be as many as eight, but more people are saying five.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm sure those who work in the news, features and photo departments will appreciate your concern.

Draft saved Draft deleted