1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Any word why Steve Elling doesn't work in Orlando any more?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I always thought our main mission was informing readers.

But I suppose we have to attract them first.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The NY Times is not covering games like they used to. And, it's not even close.
    You can see that in a hire like Karen Crouse. Her gamers aren't gamers. They're forward-reaching, looking ahead pieces moreso than gamers. That's hardly the hard-news punch you so thirst for.
    Howard Beck, pretty much the same. Those aren't gamers. They're a "State-of-the-Franchise" stories with one or two point totals.

Plus, if I had the hiring power of that place, I wouldn't be sitting here typing with you ;)

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be real curious what happened with Elling. I always thought the guy was one of the best golf writers around.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The pipeline has been gurgling all day - do pipelines gurgle? - and I've heard this enough from enough people I trust to believe it. Something about freelance work and questions about whether it was authorized or a conflict of interest. What has been described to me does NOT sound like an offense worthy of a dismissal and several have speculated that somebody may have been looking for a reason. Let me make clear that last part is speculation. What I do know: He no longer works there and questions over some freelance work are the given reason why.

I'm also told he was interviewing elsewhere earlier this week. He won't be idle long.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Thing is, you can't spin around twice blindfolded in Central Florida without stumbling over a golf course. Thanks to the reader interest level and number of pros living in the area, there's going to be a lot of golf news in the Orlando paper. The Sentinel does a better job with it than the Jacksonville paper, which has the PGA Tour HQ in its suburbs.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

I think some people are feeling upset that somebody from Orlando won "their" award and are taking the opportunity to diss the Sentinel in order to vent their displeasure.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Amen, brother

9. Mizzougrad96

Elling definitely won't be jobless for long...

10. Mizzougrad96

No paper in the country is as obsessed with the APSEs as Orlando.

People can see that as good and bad, but it's the biggest reason why the staff gets picked over several times a year. Nothing wrong with a paper that brings a shitload of attention to its writers.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

It seems to me that good solid writing about interesting subjects --- the kind of thing that, y'know, wins awards --- will attract the kind of readers we'd want to brag about attracting.

Award-winning writing should attract readers almost by default.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It's not a matter of "breaking" stuff on Tiger. It's a matter of comfort level.

Tiger has a certain comfort level with several writers, Steve Elling being one of those.

C'mon Hondo, you know that more than "some golfers" live in the Orlando-Isleworth-Lake Nona area. Elling did a story about this a couple years ago, pointing out where most of the tour pros live. There were more than "some."

Not to mention there are two PGA tournaments, one LPGA event, a silly-season event every year and Q School finals there every other year. Not to mention the flotilla of other events in Florida that you're centrally located to -- many of which you're expected to cover. And of course, there are the majors, three of which Elling covered every year (like a lot of golf writers).

As for the various HQs, that all fell under his domain as well, since Orlando is only a few hours from the PGA Tour, LPGA and PGA of America HQs. He was expected to keep up on those happenings as well.

Golf at the Sentinel is a major beat and Elling did a great job on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted