1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jun 16, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree. Which is why they will pay dearly.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sure, I'm not blaming the parents. I'm pretty sure most of us would not be thinking about an alligator attack on a private beach. Especially if you're not familiar with Florida. I was just saying that the thought had crossed my mind about a 2-year-old being so close to the water. We're not "water people" so it's just something I wondered about.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I don't think he ever recovered from 2008.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The child was apparently wading at the edge of the water at the little resort beach. The father was close enough to try to get him back when he got grabbed. Close enough to snatch your kid out if he steps in a hole or falls is different from close enough to prevent a stealth predator from grabbing him. Gators routinely kill by grabbing their prey and pulling it underwater to drown. They stash it and come back later to eat.

I imagine it all happened so fast that neither the baby or the father had a chance.

Yes, I agree about babies and water, but dad could have been ten or fifteen feet away, which is plenty close normally.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think you're right. Up until then he was popular with the right, respected by the left and had a great relationship with the press. I think he felt he compromised himself in '08, and at the same time managed to piss off the right, left, and media at roughly the same time. (He also had to know that it was his last good shot at the presidency and the race mostly came down to economic issues, and McCain isn't even good at pretending to care about economic stuff.)

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If Trump getting crushed by Hillary somehow also means John McCain loses his Senate seat, it might all be worth it.

CD Boogie, old_tony and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I misinterpreted that you were blaming the parents. We're definitely "water people," so to speak, so I wouldn't question having a 2-year-old standing in the water. If anything, we take heat from our friends and family that our 13-month-old only just got her feet in the sand and water for the first time a couple weeks ago.

I'm probably more adventurous in terms of letting our little guy explore land and sea than my wife is, but it makes for a good mix - checks and balances, and such.

Gator and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think I can even attempt to watch that.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Nope, not watching it either.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Good, I hope that happens to every GOP candidate who doesn't have the balls and foresight to distance themselves from Trump.

Draft saved Draft deleted