1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's idiotic. This sorry sack in Orlando killed people because Obama pulled out of Iraq? OK, Senator. And who's to blame for Dylan Roof? Is it Andrew Johnson for abandoning Lincoln's plans for Reconstruction? What a twit. I hope he loses his election in the fall, and I once voted for him.

Lugnuts, qtlaw and Smallpotatoes like this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The horrible irony is that Disney has made billions of dollars from depicting wild animals as safe and friendly beings from decades of cartoons and animation.

In this Nemo sequel, I would hope there isn't a damn alligator scene where it's either chasing/eating the little orange fish or, worse yet, the alligator is friendly and part of a blues band that plays underwater.

Ace likes this.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The alligator will be depicted as a Republican congressman.

old_tony and exmediahack like this.
  5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Probably not. Alligators do not like salt water.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The real horror story is that Disney obsesses so much about having a pristine and perfect image in the public eye,
    it likes to avoid something so graceless as a sign that says: "WARNING: ALLIGATOR HABITAT. KEEP CHILDREN SAFE."

So as not to embarrass itself in front of the paying guests, it now is embarrassed and shamed in front of the entire world.
    Hard to blame the tourists in this case. Last thing they expect on their Disney vacation is a gator attack on the hotel beach.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep.

They do all they can to point to ISIS and others outside country and ignore the fact that it was someone BORN (and raised) in the USA!! (hello the Boss). Its our problem, not the world's problem.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Do you ever offer ANYTHING useful?

It's called gallows humor, and anyone who has been in the business should understand.

JFC. The idea that Disney can police nature is fucking absurd. They will be sued and will pay, but not necessarily deservedly.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think McCain is scared shitless right now. He's not facing a great opponent -- I mean, I'm a democrat in Arizona, and I don't think much of her -- but there's a very real shot that she could win this. If Trump keeps Republicans at home, McCain could be screwed.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My kid is usually asleep long before 9 p.m., but at age 2, he was certainly in and around the water quite a bit (we live about 200 yards from a beach). I wouldn't have thought twice about letting him stand in 1-foot of water while I was close by. The father was close enough to try to wrestle the alligator before it pulled the toddler away. It's not like the parents were at the hotel bar while the kid frolicked in chest-deep water.

This isn't about the parents being inattentive. It's really a question of whether they should have been aware of the danger of alligators in the lagoon. In hindsight, yes, the danger is obvious. But I think it's fair to argue that Disney should have been more explicit about the dangers of the water.

What's lost here is that, considering the kid was taken in 1-foot of water, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the gator would have gotten him if he were standing on dry sand. That's why I think the signage should have been more explicit. If people were aware there were alligators in the lagoon, they wouldn't let their children close to the water, much less in it.

Also, it's different than posting bear warnings on every tree in Yellowstone because this attack occurred on the grounds of a hotel resort, not a national wildlife refuge.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Disney can't police nature, but it can make hotel guests aware there are dangerous predators in the lagoon at which they built a beach.

Draft saved Draft deleted