1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

How long ago was that? Sounds like it was an interesting time in SJ history.

YankeeFan and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  2. Earthman

Not wrong but it seems a bit idealistic to think that you can dictate how people are going to
    act on a message board.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

In the interests of factual posting: 49 people killed on "Latin Night." Most of them, but not all, were Latino.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Honestly, as journalists in a newsroom, all we do is deal with bad news -- murders, rapes, trials, accidents, scandals, deaths of all sorts. We make jokes in my shop all the time as some sort of defense mechanism so we can all keep a sense of sanity.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Fuck you, asshole!

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The locked thread ended with Smash making a point about how much signage should there be and a loose comparison to the guy in Yellowstone who was just boiled to death.

I think that the way Disney designed that space was inviting trouble. It is a beach that invites people to walk/hang out around it. I have spent a fair amount of time in Florida and have seen gators in the water on the golf course that my father in law used to live on. I can't say with certainty that I would have thought that there would have been danger on that beach area and had concerns about letting my kids get close. I probably would've figured Disney had fences like that aerial water skiing place or the other resort lake that was posted in that thread.

Disney should have had better warnings and better design.

I have been to Cabo a bunch of times and except for the designated beach area you do not go into the water at your resort. The staff warns you to stay out because of the under tow, still leads to tourist deaths every year. This despite that there are acres of beautiful sand and the water looks inviting.

Disney should have done a better job.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that if you make the sand all pretty and inviting, you create a attractive nuisance for people to at least dip their toes in the water.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

To state it explicitly, the difference is between public park and a private property that has been developed. People don't have the same expectations about danger from wild creatures.

9. Earthman

Not to mention that Disney shows a movie in that area which is what the poor family was doing.

With the millions of people that have been on the Seven Seas Lagoon I'm amazed that it has not happened before this. It's possible that Islamic extremists smuggled the gators into the water.

10. Earthman

And after being with such friendly animals like tigger and pooh all day people tend to
    let down their guard.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I still haven't heard a reasonable explanation for why/how a 2-year-old, who can't ostensibly swim, is anywhere near a body of water at 9 p.m. unless he's in someone's arms.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I did wonder about a child that age being so close to the water.

Draft saved Draft deleted