1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel temporary copy editing opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Oct 16, 2006.

1. shortstop

shortstop New Member

Will this temporary person be paid well enough to live above the poverty line? And does the Sentinel really treat its desk people like crap?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They can't allow the green eyeshades. Those mess up the all-important calibration of the color palette. [/designer]

3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

What gives with the Sentinel? Does is suck to work there?

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not in the least. You'll work a lot, and you'll work hard, but you'll learn as much as you want to learn. And every night, when you walk out the door, you'll be in Florida. That sucks not at all.

5. Sneakers

Sneakers New Member

for a writer? yeah the place rules.
    for a desker? place is hell on earth.

somehow, they've found a way to turn desk openings into writing jobs. thus, the desk is woefully understaffed. at one point, the sentinel had more managers than desk employees. fairly certain it's still that way. in fact, i'm pretty sure all of the "deputies" are still required to pull at least one desk shift a week so deskers can actually take vacation or have days off.

oh - and if a writer isn't "good enough" (read: one of hoppes' buddies), you can guarantee they'll be pulling frequent desk time.

this temp thing may not be so bad - there are at least two (possibly three) on the desk nearing retirement age. if you're lucky, they'll all retire in the next year. though, i'm sure they'll find a way to justify turning the editing jobs into more writing or management positions.

i'd be interested to hear what they're offering this position at, however. i'd be shocked if it was any less than $50k ...

6. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

I interviewed with Mr. Hoppes once, and he offered me a job.

Got a bad vibe from what he told me about the desk. Didn't think he thought it was that vital to his operation.

So I stayed away.

7. deportes

deportes Member

the desk is vital. where would you put your computer without a desk?

8. deputy_dog

deputy_dog New Member

Let's play a game.

What does Lynn Hoppes like more:
    a) his hair
    b) promoting himself (i.e. "My name is Lynn Hoppes and I'm an Asian-American sports editor")
    c) gossiping and starting fights among his staff
    d) all of the above

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Damn. Not real cool, dude.
    But, yeah, grudges are fun.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Every word in your post spurs me to send in an application . . . . . . . .

Also: nice to see deputy-dog show up just to lift his leg on this thread. I happened to briefly meet Mr. Hoppes and see him give a presentation with two others at a convention a few years ago, seemed like a nice guy. Also seemed passionate about journalism.

Everything else is completely irrelevant.

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

Deputy Dog has it right, I dare say. Mr. Hoppes has always led his resume with the fact that he is a minority.

don't know if that's cool or not. it's just there.

i wondered about the hair when i interviewed there. looked good, though i got the impression that Mr. Hoppes thought he was Some Kind of Rock God or something.

anyway, i caught him in four or five lies in less than four hours, so i did wonder about that. that's why i didn't take the job. gotta be able to trust your boss, eh?

good-looking paper, though.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, this thread certainly has taken an unexpected turn.

Draft saved Draft deleted