1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel temporary copy editing opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

The Orlando Sentinel has an opening for a temporary copy editor who will work for a 13-month term on the desk of the Sentinel’s APSE Top 10 Sports section. The person chosen will start around Dec. 1, substituting for an editor assigned to a special technology project. The ideal candidate will have both copy editing and page design skills; a strong knowledge of sports issues, history and personalities; and the ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet demanding deadlines. This position is eligible for health insurance, vacation and other key benefits. At the end of the term, the editor chosen may apply for regular positions that may be open. If you’re a sports editor at a small or midsize paper, this is the kind of valuable major-metro experience that can change the course of your career. Please e-mail a resume and cover note to Mr. Dana S. Eagles, Staff Development Editor of the Orlando Sentinel, at newsjobs@orlandosentinel.com.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a risk, but I would say that if you are competent, the chance of parlaying this into a permanent job at most papers this size is very good.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

And applicant must like Disney World

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

This would seem to be a reach for a mid-size sports editor to take a 13-month temp desk job. All jobs are temporary, in a way, but you'd really have to like the are to take this leap.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Great for the single guy who has nothing to lose. They probably don't offer insurance since it's a temporary position. You'll last 13 months then get slapped with the next batch of lay-offs. Big risk here people.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If you don't think you can prove yourself in 13 months, maybe you should be shooting for a smaller paper, or perhaps the foodservice industry.

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

It said right in the middle of the ad, "This position is eligible for health insurance, vacation and other key benefits."

8. Sneakers

Sneakers New Member

let's see ... leave my permanent job for a temp job at a paper that's known for treating the desk like shit. great. sign me up.

oh, and i get to apply for any position that may be open at then end of my temp term? awesome. good thing they have a great track record of promoting/hiring desk people from within.

oh, wait.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

As the guys in Grease would say, tell me more.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sure, you're not guaranteed a gig -- but you know what? The O-Sentinel is gonna look wonderful on the resume.

I'm sure there'll be a decent-sized pile of resumes for this one -- and, yeah, mine will be among them.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What does "treating the desk like shit" mean? Seriously. Is it workload, hours, feedback, not letting you wear one of those cool green eyeshades?

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Eligible in these positions doesn't ALWAYS mean they pay for benefits. It's deducted 100 percent on a contract basis, which is what you're hired for. They also don't always deduct taxes. It would seem you are contract labor.

Draft saved Draft deleted