1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel Sports Reporting Internship (Spring)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rolling, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Robinson, Schad, Darlington, Brewer and Maese were all on the Sentinel staff at the same time at one point. That's ridiculous when you consider what they are doing now. Darlington might be the youngest No. 1 NFL guy at any major metro; Maese and Brewer are two of the youngest columnists in the country; Schad is ESPN's No. 1 guy for college football; and Robinson has churned out possibly one of the best college sports scandal investigations ever. If I were coming out of college right now, this is exactly the kind of paper I would be aiming for.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I understand the spirit of what you are saying. But i think you'll run into some resistance with that statement (SMU, Clem Haskins, etc)

3. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Hence the phrase "one of the best". But I do think that if Bush has to surrender the Heisman, it ranks only behind SMU. If USC has to give the 2004 title back, I think it's the best ever. Just my opinion.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not all of these were Sentinel interns tho.

Still a very impressive list and if you get the Sentinel intern gig, you could be up with them soon enough.

5. Back after three great weeks in Europe, I'll answer the critic first:

Yes, Playthrough, I did bash a couple of guys in here. It's a free country, and I call 'em as I see 'em. I don't know that I need to spend more than a month, or your 400 posts, in here to establish any sort of credibility -- what, more posts make you more of a blog stud? -- but I do have a few decades of experience to call on, and i'm looking more for honest management these days from people you should expect to get honest management from. after all, we bust our asses on deadline, and i want someone who's watching my back. especially when it counts. anyone and everyone promises you the world when you get hired. how many of these managers these days really deliver on that.

Busuncle, thanks for your perspective. It's a free exchange of ideas on this board, and that was mine.

Orlando is a great place to work and get solid training, which is even better. You'll be prepared for anything after that. That doesn't mean the management there is oh-so-incredible. It's better than most, but that doesn't say much about the industry these days if you have worked hard at a big paper.

If you think you work hard at a mid-sized paper, you might be surprised at what it's like at the biggies. It was supposed to be the other way around, I always thought. Get to a biggie, plenty of people to crank it out. Unfortunately, the big corporations striip it pretty much to the bone these days. So it's not worth the hassle. Better to work in a mid-sized city for the better quality of life, lower bills, less traffic, all that stuff. Lots less corporate bullshit, also.

That's all I'm saying. Discuss at will.

Draft saved Draft deleted