1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel Sports Reporting Internship (Spring)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rolling, Sep 7, 2006.

1. I used to work wiith Lynn Hoppes. I came away feeling dirty.

I'm just saying................

Orlando Sentinel is a great place to work, though. so grab it if you can get it.

Hoppes does hire some good talent, and some others as well, but they leave pretty soon if they can.

There's a pretty good reason for that.

I know Mr. Hoppes is a god on this board, but I did find some better gods out there.

Nothing against Hoppes, but there it is. I was just expecting more from what I was told coming in.

Discuss at will.

2. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Whether you feel dirty afterward or not, this is one of the most prestigious and hardest to get sportswriting internships around, and you will have plenty of opportunities to move up once you're done. The spring might be tough for some in college, but it's more than worth it. And Heiny's right, the Magic will be better - did you see Dwight Howard at the World Championships?

3. the sentinel's a great paper.

orlando sucks. then again, it's only three months. that men's health survey that said it's the country's angriest town wasn't lying.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You'd be angry too if your town was ruled by a mouse and had all that tourist traffic...

Heywood, for a guy who's been registered here for under a month, you're quite the rabble-rouser. In that other jobs thread you were bashing the cbssportsline guy for not listing a salary with his position, and now you're busting on a pretty well-respected editor who has been shooting straight in here for a pretty long damn time.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So because you post here occasionally and only in reference to jobs at your own paper, you're immune to criticism? Cool. How many posts do you need to trigger that superpower?

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

I've never met Hoppes, and have nothing against him. But given the way he is regularly fellated on this board, one might be surprised to learn that he is not universally loved outside the SportsJournalists.com universe. I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to offer a differing perspective. This board is all about free exchange of ideas, right?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

She's also done an internship at Sports Illustrated.

8. DavidPalmer4Prez

DavidPalmer4Prez New Member

Does the Sentinel also offer a sports internship during the summer? Not sure if I want to skip out on my last semester at school for this gig, regardless of the prestige.....

9. rolling

rolling Member

It's not going to hurt to apply anyway.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you have already have great internships, fine. But this would probably be worth taking a semester off school (as long as you went back).

11. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I applied for this last year and never heard a word from folks in Orlando (can't blame 'em, though. Tania Ganguli is pretty good). But I was lucky enough to spend a day earlier this year at the Sentinel, talking with folks, making a few contacts and, yes, spending a considerable amount of time talking with Lynn.

I came away feeling great. The Sentinel has quality people all over its newsroom – writers, editors, coordinators, etc. I would have loved to have spent three months there instead of one day.

If you're having doubts about applying, just send in your stuff. The best thing that could happen is you get a phone call and you get a little lucky.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Love the paper, hate the city...

Orlando is one of those places that almost every major paper is looking to raid...

Look at the Sentinel alumni from within the last five years or so...

Charles Robinson - NFL writer at Yahoo! (broke the Reggie Bush scandal)
    Joe Schad - (ESPN)
    Jeff Darlington (Dolphins beat writer at the Miami Herald)
    Juliet Macur (NY Times)
    Jerry Brewer (columnist at the Seattle Times)
    Rick Maese (Baltimore columnist)

I'm sure there are more, but that's a damn impressive list...

Draft saved Draft deleted