1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel sports columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Good editors always have people in mind for anticipated openings but welcome interest from those hoping to take a leap as well.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but we're talking about Lynn here. ;)

3. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

That's pretty funny.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, he has a good track record and is well-connected in APSE so this should be an interesting hire.

5. blueview

blueview Member

Yes, you are. Get over it.

6. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

"This person will write columns, major features, enterprise, A-1 stories, investigative work and make appearances on television, radio and online."

That's a lot of titles. How often would this person do each? Three or four columns a week, a big feature or two and enterprise every month? TV, radio, online? That's alotta shit.

What do you think something like this would pay?

7. deputy_dog

deputy_dog New Member

He just wants Juliet Macur back in his life.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Lynn's good people. And he got his start at a pretty good small paper in Kentucky. :p

Lynn, does the North Hardin pipeline not run from Lexington to Orlando?

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Any updates on this one? I just came across it tonight, so I'm probably a little late in the game.

Since I'm posting, though, I'll admit a curiosity. Do bloggers have a place in the newsroom these days? Can they go from blogging to columnist? I haven't done any blogging, but someone with wit and style and gusto might make a nice candidate for a columnist job. The only other qualification would be some journalism experience. I'm thinking of a smalltown guy who does a national-focused blog on the side. Just a thought.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Um, the Sentinel just lost their leader. Their inspiration. Their vision. I'd say this job is the least of their concerns.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The "other" major qualification, however, would be reporting skill. Blogging -- as it is generally done by non-journalists on the WWW -- often does not involve much legwork. You damn well better have some substance to succeed at this job, not just an opinion.

Wit and style and gusto are all fine and well ... when it's combined with a reporter's eye for a story. That's what makes for the best columnists. I'd much rather have a good reporter go to columnist than a good blogger go to columnist. A reporter knows how to dig for a story, and that's what a columnist should do, too.

But as MileHigh said ... have some damn perspective here. Asking for an update today is a little crass.

12. Unless you're Bill Simmons. Or Scoop Jackson.

Draft saved Draft deleted