1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel sports columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Not to hijack this (and now I will try) but why is everyone fixated on "liking" Bianchi? As far as I'm concerned, a columnist is supposed to evoke emotion and thought and be read. And it doesn't hurt if you're hilarious. Bianchi has all of those attributes. And yes, I am him. (Ok fine, I'm not him, but if anyone wants to pretend I am, that would really help my ego).
    OK, back to bashing would-be candidates, not already employed columnists.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I heard from a pretty good source that they'd really, really like a woman to fill this slot, so I doubt it's going to a guy, much less a white guy. If that's untrue, Lynn can feel free to correct me.

This post is not an attempt to complain about this either. Just what I've heard. If Lynn found a really good, young female journalist (black, white, Asian, whatever) and gave her a chance to be a columnist that would be cool with me.

Like Steve Elling, I like what I do too.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I have recently been informed by an even better source that my post is untrue. So polish those resumes, white males! You too have a shot!

4. My guess is that Lynn will want to bring in someone that HE AND THE STAFF can help reach the next level in terms of skills...some that is slightly seasoned and teetering right on the edge of breaking out.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

So if you're already a friggin' stud like me, you're out of luck? Oh well.

6. What do you guys/ladies think the Sentinel's looking for? Young person with 2-3 years experience at a smaller daily or someone from a mid-size to big metro with credentials out the ass?

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

If Mr. Hoppes is as plugged in as this board says, is there really a shot for someone who didn't know about the opening until it was posted here? It seems like he'd have plenty of candidates in the pipeline.

Or am I reading entirely too much into two lines?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Think Lynn would go for salty and tipsy over seasoned and teetering? I think I could fill the bill.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Lynn will hire the best available candidate -- be it an up-and-comer or a veteran from another market.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Is it too soon for Andrew Carter to be a candidate?

11. Hoppes will go for a young star on the rise.

It's like baseball: Look for that Double-A talent that is about to hit it big, then get him or her a year early and reap the results.

Though I still think Bianchi is a minor-league gasbag. :)

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Probably... but wait a few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted