1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel sports columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

Mike is not well-liked around florida by many fans (if you read a lot of message boards at least), but he does get people to read his stuff, so i guess he is doing something right.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I am guessing that Steve has improved exponentially in the past half-dozen years.

3. Bianchi has no soul. No understanding for what a sports columnist can and should be in the big picture. Just another guy looking for instant flash, with no filler. But you'll love him if you salivated over Larry Guest.

Typical of Orlando. Not a big-time player in the sports world, and that's OK. But quit being the midget with a mission, Mikey. Better to sit back, look around and write something more compelling that, unfortunately for you, didn't happen in central Florida.

Look at what Wilbon did with Saban and Riley. He's 1,000 miles away, but it was important enough for him to chime in.

By the way, Mikey, dog-ass of a haircut too, I would say.

If you wanna read a good Sentinel columnist, read Mike Thomas. He's not sports, but that's what a columnist should do once he's in the chair.

4. Sportsgal25

Sportsgal25 New Member

From what I hear from my Sentinel pals, yes, this is Jemele's job...

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Which means Elling ought not get his hopes up.

6. Bianchi is fearless and fantastic. Steve Elling is a nice guy and a tremendous writer. Enough of the small-minded jealousy. It gets old.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Who said anything bad about Elling? Columbo? Does that even count?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have no dog in this hunt. I kind of like Bianchi. But people form opinions about columnists. Not liking one is not always small-minded jealousy.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bianchi is one of the most consistently funny columnists around. When I read the Sentinel online, the first thing I look for is the latest Bianchi column. He's the best thing going at a damn fine paper.

I like Simers and Whitlock better, but Bianchi is definitely in my top five favorite reads...

10. For my money, I'll take Whitley over Bianchi, only because Whitley tends to have a bit more to say. But Bianchi's Saturday columns can be hysterical. And whoever made a crack about Mike's chrome dome is a moron.
    Great spot for a young gun. Think the last two were Hill and Jerry Brewer, who I think is in Seattle now.

11. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I echo the love for Whitley. I think he's great. Don't read him regularly anymore but he is usually good for a laugh-out-loud line or two in every column. Extremely talented columnist.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Unfortunately, you are correct, Mexican Virus.

And he doesn't. Having talked to him about this, he said "I like what I'm doing now."

And Columbo, Elling's been a damn good writer for as long as I've known him, which goes back to the early 90s and his days at the Valley section of the LA Times, where he was clearly the best writer in that section. It won't happen, but promoting him would constitute a 200 percent improvement over the last occupant of that space.

Draft saved Draft deleted