1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel, other Tribune papers abandoning their offices

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Aug 12, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only interesting thing I remember that happened in my not-that-old (built in 1990) Fort Lauderdale newsroom is the filming of "Marley And Me" in 2008.

They covered our flatscreens with hollow beige boxes to give them the 1990s computer look.

maumann likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have worked in a lot of offices. I physically liked working in many of them due to the interaction with colleagues and disliked a few, either because I disliked higher-ups or I just did not click with my colleagues. It was not that my colleagues, it was just that we never developed more than a professional acquaintance.

But nowhere did I enjoy the commute. And I certainly do not miss the costs of commuting. And it is not just the direct commuting costs. I bought my first home in Northern Virginia. It was a townhouse, rather than a detached house, in order to be close to a mass transit system. It was still a commute of almost an hour each way because I had to live at the end of the line. I could not afford to live closer.

If I only needed to commute one day a week I could have bought a veritable mansion in Richmond and gotten up at 4:00 A.M. to commute to the office a couple times a month. I would have loved to telecommute.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

They used the Evening Outlook building in Santa Monica to film a McDonald's commercial.

The OC Register building newsroom was used in "The Ring." The entertainment editor wrote a gushing, fanboi column about Naomi Watts sitting in his chair. They did the filming overnight Saturday to Sunday and it included painting a wall and repainting back to the original color. Watts filmed all night Saturday and was at the Academy Awards on Sunday afternoon. Amazing.
    The L.A. Herald Examiner building was used in filming lots of movies.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm single. I live cheap. But I make more working part-time at the post office than someone at a big city newspaper? (And who presumably tries to live like a human being,?)

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I wasn't in a major metro area, but starting yearly pay as a RCA or CCA at my local post office was about double my base salary.

britwrit likes this.
  9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

People who work at the postal services of the world provide a needed service. It's often a tough job and they deserve to make a good wage.

But double? That's kinda wrong.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ha, I mean, entry level journalism wages haven't been "liveable" for a really long time, and now with all the cutbacks and layoffs, there aren't really any mid-tier jobs or positions to get an appropriate pay bump. I think that's more the issue. I worked on and off in journalism for about 15 years, and cleared more than $30k about 2.5 of those years.

britwrit likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tribune is just heinous.

Employees of the Tribune Publishing Company were momentarily thrilled Wednesday after they received a company email announcing that they were each getting a bonus of up to $10,000, to “thank you for your ongoing commitment to excellence.”

To learn more details, they just had to click on a link that … well, that’s when they learned they had failed the test. And there was no bonus at all.

The entire charade was Tribune’s effort to test its collective defenses against Internet scams that tempt email recipients to click on a link that has the effect of interfering with computer systems or getting them to volunteer personal data. To bolster caution, many companies have taken to sending out these kinds of tests to their employees and taking note of how many fall for a scam.

But this particular fake enticement did not land well at Tribune, whose eight newspapers have endured furloughs and layoffs in recent years. “Fire everyone involved,” Baltimore Sun crime and courts reporter Justin Fenton wrote on Twitter.

By Wednesday evening, Tribune Publishing acknowledged in a statement to The Washington Post that it had made a mistake. “The company had no intention of offending any of its employees,” a spokesman said. “In retrospect, the topic of the email was misleading and insensitive, and the company apologizes for its use.”

The company email promised bonuses. It was a hoax — and Tribune Publishing employees are furious. — The Washington Post

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is what the Tribune suits think of the lowly reporters. This is despicable. Truly cruel and awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted