1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel, other Tribune papers abandoning their offices

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Aug 12, 2020.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Commercial real estate is going to more than crater.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This figures to be a popular trend in the news business and many others. As soon as it worked remotely, it became a viable option.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Orlando Sentinel reporters on Twitter are optimistic they'll get SOME kind of office space after the pandemic. My message to them: Don't count on it. The suits are pocketing the savings from the real estate and won't be looking to invest in office space any time soon. Their thinking, "why pay for space when everyone can work from home?"

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Am suspecting they’ll be able to get some use of a co-working space for limited days/times for the occasional in-person meeting, but yeah, I think the newsroom as they know it is forever a thing of the past.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per the Reliable Sources newsletters, one of the papers losing its newsroom is in Annapolis.

The Capital Gazette. Think about it. If there was ever a paper that needed its newsroom back, it's the Capital Gazette.

JosephDHippolito likes this.
  8. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

This is a smart move by management. Separate the office gossipers and malcontents and weaken the collective power of the employees. I'm not praising the execs but I see how it fosters their objective to weaken dissent and sell off buildings in order to generate their profits.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That really sucks. But for many papers, this isn't an outrage. Takes away the romanticism of the newsroom but most would tell you that's been long gone.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I would have done cartwheels to work from home when I was in newspapers a decade ago. You avoid the coworker who wants to talk your ear off about bullshit all day, the editor who seems to always be looking over your shoulder, the coworker who always seems to have drama. All of it.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

And the co-worker with kids who gets you sick because of their little germ factories at home.

Yes, I have kids.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The news editor that thinks every dispatch of a fire truck should send a reporter running, rather than listening to see what the firefighters say upon arrival.

NNDman and Tech Trojan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted