1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel Names Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Cherwa is the sports coordinator for the entire Tribune Company, so this position would actually be a demotion.

2. Congrats Tim.

Tim, and before him Dee Gugel, used to be the preps editor and we would call and arrange coverage of some of the region playoffs when an Orlando team would play a Tampa team Always finished with the line ...

"Tim, would you do me another favor?"
    "What's that?"
    "Take them (Tampa podunk) out?"
    "Huh?"
    "Get rid of them, they aren't going to win state, so let's get rid rid of them now."
    "Hey, I want them (Orlando podunk) out as well."
    "How many teams you have left?"
    "Too many"
    "Me too."

Good-natured editor banter.

Congrats again Tim.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that

4. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

"Billy" (above) says: Cherwa is the sports coordinator for the entire Tribune Company, so this position would actually be a demotion.

Uh, Billy, are you sure you know what his actual duties consist of?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm going to resist the urge to swing at that softball.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Sports Topic Editor ---- good thing they thought of such a logical title. Sports Editor would have been confusing.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I must admit, I sometimes defend some of these new-age titles as more accurate. This one is simply dumb.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

To me, the title of sports topic editor makes it sound more like an assignment-editor job than a section-editor position.

I wonder if this, in fact, makes Cherwa the de facto sports editor, while Stephens is, well, the sports-topic editor.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tim is one of the good guys so I hope whatever that title means is something good.

I'm going to change my name to Mike Harris THAT one.
    Unless you think I'm not THAT one. Then I'm not.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Again, Tim's job description of is that of what most would call the AME/Sports. He is in charge of supervising all areas of sports.

And yes, Moddy, he is one of the really good guys.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dunno... he wanted to hire me once. Means he's a good guy, but awfully easy to fool...

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I concur with slapster, because I am dumb and wanted to hire him too. :)

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted