1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel Names Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Apr 22, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Haven't seen it posted yet, but I've been told by a couple people that Tim Stephens has been promoted from Deputy to Sports Editor at the Orlando Sentinel after the paper did several in-house interviews.
    Congratulations to Tim, who I still count as the best boss I had in my full-time years in the industry. He's had his hand in a lot of different aspects of the paper in his time there, which IIRC began in 2003/early 2004.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, sonuvabitch....
    Good for you Tim. Just think where you'd be if you'd have taken the ME job in Birmingham after all...

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

so, does this mean there's gonna be an opening in Orlando? please.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No.

That was easy.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends. Do you sell ads or mop floors?

6. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

Interesting that John Cherwa, former deputy sports editor of the LA Times and sports editor of the Chicago Tribune, didn't get promoted.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Stephens was their colleges sports editor, right?

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

An opening? Would you want to work for Tribune right now? Seriously?

Best of luck to Tim and I wish all the Trib folks well, other than Zell and his idiot flunkies, but that doesn't seem to be the company to be leaping toward at the moment.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Looks like he's actually been promoted to "Sports Topic Manager," whatever that is:

http://apse.dallasnews.com/2009/apr2009/042209stephens_promotion.html

11. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Thanks Barsuk. That was my question. Sports Topic Manager? Sounds like he is the guy who picks what will be on Mike and Mike.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It's essentially just a fancy way of saying AME Sports. Same job description.
    Apparently a lot of people down there are getting new titles.

Draft saved Draft deleted