1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jul 23, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Any word on this one? I'm guessing they're close to a hire if they haven't already made one.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard that they're really trying to make this a minority hire...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Are they trying to force the issue?

4. dcdream

dcdream Member

What do you mean force the issue?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I didn't know how to respond to that. I was under the impression that they were recruiting at one of the conferences, something that most major papers do. If I know Lynn, he'll hire the best writer regardless.

6. dcdream

dcdream Member

I know what the Good Doctor was trying to say... I just want this person to say.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I was trying to ask if hiring a minority would come at the expense of hiring the most-qualified candidate, if the two aren't the same.

It works that way at some papers, especially at Gannett, and I was wondering if the Sentinel is taking the same approach.

Not trying to ruffle feathers, because it doesn't affect me either way; I was just curious.

8. dcdream

dcdream Member

Good Doctor.. I understand what you are trying to say...but we never hear this line of thinking when two white people are up for the job. Not trying to inject race.. but is the reality....

When Cleveland hired Terry Pluto... did the paper pick the most qualified candidate...well check that... he was the only candidate...

so while i appreciate the sentiments... its not a consistent one across the board.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wasn't involved in the Terry Pluto discussion, so I don't know what was mentioned and what wasn't. Y'all can disregard the whole thing, I suppose.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I was told that the second of their two GA openings could be frozen. I stress could be.

I think there's a lot that's up in the air at the moment. Most famously, they lost a columnist to ESPN.com last year and then cut loose their golf writer early in 2007.

Then they lost a preps legend when Bill Buchalter retired this spring. Mike Huguenin left last week to go to Yahoo Sports. That left the college editor open, and they filled it with Tim Stephens from preps. Steve Ruiz, who worked on the night desk, will be take Stephens' old job as preps editor.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Tim Stephens has some big shoes to fill, but he's damn good himself.

12. Aren't they down a page designer, too, or did that get filled?

Draft saved Draft deleted