1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jul 23, 2007.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

When can we expect to hear about a possible hire?

2. Another bump. Anybody hearing things?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the guys they're talking to works for another big paper in Florida and would be an outstanding hire. I'm sure there are plenty of other candidates as well...

Anyone who thinks the 300 applicants thing is bullshit has no concept of the state of the industry or Orlando's drawing power.

The difference between Orlando and most of the other job openings at major papers is that Hoppes doesn't usually start his searches with somebody specific in mind. I'll bet 75 percent of the openings at other big papers have someone in mind for the job before it's posted. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but the fact that Orlando actually seems to invite all comers is what that place so refreshingly unique.

4. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Very true ... My experiences lead me to think it's even higher than 75

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

One of my favorite past SEs never advertised for writing positions because he already knew who he wanted for the next several openings. Being open and flexible would seem to be a positive approach these days.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

That seems to be the industry norm or at least might be: http://apse.dallasnews.com/2007/aug2007/080907howard.html

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/45568/

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Why can't all papers be like that? **sigh**

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most SEs at major papers aren't willing to take the time to go through that many portfolios... I worked for one SE at a major paper who advertised for a top job, seemed positively overwhelmed by receiving a couple hundred responses, then asked the outgoing beat writer who he would hire and hired him...

For the record, it was one hell of a hire, but still...

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The path of least resistance. Not surprising, to say the least.

Look at the list of great sports editors on the other thread. I'd bet that a lot of those aren't fans of that mode of hiring.

Coincidence? I think not.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Names? Anybody? Again, just happy somebody's hiring.

11. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

So If I sent something in last time, is it still on file? Or was my "thank you" e-mail from Lynn a kind way of saying "you're not what we're looking for?"

12. I believe Lynn said in a post that your stuff would still be on file.

If Lynn hasn't talked to you since then, it's safe to say your packet is nice and comfortable in the circular file.

Draft saved Draft deleted