1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Don't you have somewhere to go to harass someone? Or, is it "her ass" someone?

2. boots

boots New Member

It's idiots like you that keep screwing the board up. GROW UP if you can.
    If it's not a comment about the current job opening, go somewhere else. There are some people out here who could really use the information.

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I think what the personal reasons are is a valid concern.

If they are, "family issues," or "health-related issues," fine.

But if they are, "Personally, I don't like that they told me general assignment means tiddlywinks and boccee," then that's a concern most others looking for the job also would have.

Not saying that's what happened. But it's a valid question.

4. boots

boots New Member

I disagree Joel. Their turning the job down has no bearing on you except creating an opening. People turn down jobs every day for various reasons.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

His turning the job down certainly has no bearing on me, because I'm not looking and haven't applied.

But the reasons for him turning it down absolutely have merit for those in the running.

We obviously disagree. No problem.

6. boots

boots New Member

I understand where you are coming from. It's like when you go to a job you try to find out about the person you are replacing.

7. Lynn,
    If you're viewing, I'll glady cover tiddlywinks and boccee for the Sentinel for modest pay. Yeah, I'm shameless like that.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Lynn, I'll cover tiddly-bocce for peanuts.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Here's a question: if the Sentinel really gets hundreds of drooling applicants for their openings, why even re-open the job when a first choice falls through? Is there not a solid runner-up that can be offered the job without the exposure of having to re-open the hire? Are there really that many qualified applicants that didn't notice the first opening here for months, and just now are seeing the new opening?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

One of the reason I think that 200-300 number is utter horseshit.

But, even with a far fewer number of applications, I find that odd.

11. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

I love this anonymous website.
    We had 297 resumes for the opening that we turned into 2 jobs.
    When one person decided to stay put, we opened it up again.
    Originally, we had a window of 2 weeks when we had it open and several people -- who were on vacation -- didn't make the deadline so we're giving them an opportunity to apply this time.
    Not much mystery here.

Lynn

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Thanks for the update Lynn.

Draft saved Draft deleted