1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

man up and just send a cover letter :)

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How dare you see through my thinly-veiled schemes?

3. And in Clever's case, he may want to slip in a fifty. :D

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Maybe two.

5. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Pretty much everyone has sent a cover letter, even if it is a sentence or two. Some have even sent two-page cover letters.

My thoughts: Cover letters are necessary IF you don't know the person. You're trying to show a side of yourself that he or she may find interesting. Now if you know the person, the cover letter likely is a few sentences.

It's not make or break. But it's like wearing a suit to an interview. It's better to overdress than underdress. It's better to overkill a story than underkill a story. It's better to ... You get the idea.

Lynn

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Wish I'd sent cash now.

7. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

I sent a cover letter and the usual stuff, clips, reference and resume. Thought it was a good idea. No cash though. Don't have much of that right now. Hopefully I will be considered for this one. I'm due for a break. Plus I'm young and cheap. Aren't those good qualities?

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Better than you imagine. They'll serve you quite well.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Dang, Lynn. I'll put away my checkbook now. :)

Just kidding. Packet's on the way. Thanks for checking in.

10. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

This is a bit off the topic, but I thought it would go well with the "suit to an interview" thing...

I had an interview in Florida 2 years ago. I was getting picked up at the airport on Saturday night. They wanted me to stop in and see somebody important who was on that night.
    Then I was scheduled to spend Sunday at the paper sort of informally meeting some people, in anticipation of Monday, which was the "suit" day with the Monday-Friday 9-to-5 crowd of execs, librarians, whatever.
    Well, I thought it might not hurt to put on a tie and jacket -- not a suit, but close -- for the trip down there and the Saturday night drop-in.
    You guessed it. Delta lost my luggage, so I was stuck with the jacket/tie combo until my stuff arrived at the hotel the next morning.
    Of course, when I got to the paper on Saturday night (the flight was late, too), everybody there was wearing shorts.
    For good measure, Delta was 8 hours late leaving Fla. on "suit" day, so I ended up staying in Atlanta overnight. Of course, my bags went north that night, so it was nothing but the suit that night, the next (Tuesday) morning and all the way until I got back home.
    The moral? I guess if you take a suit to Florida, be prepared to wear it. Maybe longer than you'd like.

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Or, if we get flown down, pray they don't put us on Delta.

12. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

Thankfully I'm just a drive away

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.