1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

We lost several positions over the last 2 years that now are wiped from the books.
    But we got approval this week to interview and hire for one new position.
    So here we are. So we've decided to try to hire someone to do a little bit of everything.

And on experience,
    We don't care where you've been. We care only where you're going.

2. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

I will send them some clips. I'm sure its a reach, but it can't hurt.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If ever there is a job where everyone should apply, it's this one... I don't think there is another sports editor in the country who scours the country for candidates... Hell, two of his best finds came from Oakland, Michigan (Charles Robinson) and a PM paper in Albuquerque (Rick Maese). Rumor has it, those two have done quite well... ;D

Hoppes is the best talent scout in sports journalism by far...

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Would you dare say, then, he's an f-ing stud when it comes to that? ;)

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You will never get anywhere if you don't reach. And you will never get a job for which you don't apply. So hell yes go for it.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've commented on very few sports editors on this board... I don't know if Hoppes is the best SE in the country... I've never worked for him and I've only met him in passing a couple times, but those who I know who have worked for him all pretty much love the guy.

The best thing about the Sentinel is that the GA and prep writers usually get promoted quickly and it's the section that's usually raided the most for young talent...

7. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

OK, I'm late to the party (as usual). What happened in Greensboro?

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Unspeakable things.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42653/

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I really wish I liked golf enough to apply.

Ah, heck, I might anyway. Such good things are always said about Orlando that if the "you can live anywhere for two years" train of thought is valid, I suppose that the "you can cover anything for two years" thought also works. No matter how much it makes you want to take a nap.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Sentinel used to be such a fine newspaper. Hard to figure what the hell they're doing now.

Sports section still looks good. But I'd be very wary about this place now. Tribune Company is chopping hard with a big ax.

11. jtom2141

jtom2141 New Member

Can anyone ballpark how many clips these folks want?

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Enough so that you provide a detailed feature of your portfolio, but not too many to swamp them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.