1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

The Orlando Sentinel sports department is looking for a general assignment reporter.
    The emphasis will be on local golf, outdoors and local general assignment.
    It's not a pure golf job. It's not a pure outdoors job. It's not a pure general assignment job.
    Hey, we're trying to find someone to cover a variety of topics.

Please send a resume and some clips to:

Mr. Lynn Hoppes
    Associate Managing Editor/Sports
    The Orlando Sentinel
    633 N. Orange Ave.
    Orlando, FL 32801

The job will be open until June 30.
    Please no calls. And please send your packet through the mail.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Lynn, how much experience are you looking for?

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

It said no phone calls, apparently that means no posted questions either.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lynn and his staff have been pretty good at answering questions on here in the past. It might take some time, but they do get answered. Thanks for contributing your thought though...

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Good paper, good SE with lots of good opportunities to do something meaningful. In my opinion, this opening is ... good.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just make sure you don't write any freelance golf stories on the side.

7. Personally, I'd be nervous about going to a newspaper that just cut a couple of dozen people.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Good point Write. Forgot about that. I'm guessing this isn't a new position just created. Anyone?

9. boots

boots New Member

I don't think Lynn would bring someone in just to give them the boot like Greensboro. However, I know with football beginning in a couple of months, they're going to want someone in place who can step in and do the job without being coached.
    I hope the suits give him the final go-ahead to pull the trigger. Getting permission to post a job opening is one thing. Hiring them is another.

10. I wasn't implying that.

I would be worried about the newspaper's long-term financial health, low staff morale in light of the cuts and the possibility that the owner might sell if it's not making enough profit.

Make sense?

11. boots

boots New Member

Morale may be a problem but it wouldn't surprise me if Lynn has someone in mind for the position. If I recall, he had a couple of position open before the latest cutbacks. I'm sure he got some good people to look at from there.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Newsday's hiring an assistant SE, so I wonder if Trib's given the go-ahead to fill some key positions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.