1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orioles fans vs. Kevin Millar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Oct 23, 2007.

?

Should Kevin Millar have thrown out the first pitch for the Red Sox?

1. Definitely yes.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Definitely no.

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Who cares?

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Well, the Orioles should have told him "no."

But I just don't see a problem with it.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I think the whole thing is damn hokey, but whatever.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm pretty sure Rajah's contract was over the day the Yankees season ended, but whatever.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Glad I'm now a Nats fan.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Millar's contract had an option that vested when he reached a certain number of plate appearances back in August. He'll be an Oriole in 2008.

6. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

i thought it was pretty cool and orioles fans should just relax. no big deal. grow up.

7. They should have had Trot Nixon throw out the first pitch.

Bill Buckner wouldn't have been a bad choice, either.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I still don't think it's safe for him to walk through Boston. Title or not, that was not a proud moment for that city.

9. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

it was a bad idea. seriously he's on a different team that plays in the same division.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Not to go on too long of a rant, but I get kind of tired of fans complaining about players who aren't "loyal" or don't "love their team more."

Players quit being loyal the day owners quit being loyal. Professional sports are a business now. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure, you have guys who play because they love the game, but for every one of those, there are 15 who view sports as a better alternative to working a real job. They make money, they set themselves and their families for life, and they get out.

High school kids play sports for the fun of it. The day they start getting incentives - be it a college scholarship or a fat-ass paycheck - that love is jaded. Some of them may love it, and they all once loved it, but that love changes the moment they're paid to do it.

The sooner fans start to realize that the players aren't any different than the owners, the sooner they'll quit getting their hearts broken over petty shit like this.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The owners aren't going anywhere; players come and go. How the two aren't any different, I don't see it.

Personally, I wouldn't have done it. It's one thing to return to Boston for a ring ceremony the next season, like Lowe, Pedro and others did. It's another to return three years later to celebrate that team.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bill Buckner won't ever come near Boston. Hell, I still think he refuses to talk to media on the phone from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted