1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oriole fans/baseball historians: Little help

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out a name. Was a coach or scout with the Orioles around '88. Name sounds like Ed (or Eddie) Lieberpohl? Ledenpohl? Leverpool? Something like that?

Helping a friend transcribe notes from 10 hours of interviews, and this name keeps popping up.

I haven't a clue.

2. Killick

Maybe a sound-alike to "Libitor"? Kind of hearing that, now.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Try making a call to director of scouting Joe Jordan. He might know.

410-685-9800

I checked a 1988 Red Book in my possession and found nothing vaguely similar.

4. Killick

Thanks, man. I may have to go that route. My web browser's looking at me now like "Really? Another search? Surely, you jest."

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There was a Steve Luebber pitching for them in 1981.

You can go to the orioles web site and it will list all their players, coaches, managers. You can even sort by name or decade.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/history/players.jsp?sortby=decade&filter=1980-1989&ATRsection=2

Baseball Almanac also has rosters by year (although not sure if they list coaches there).

6. Killick

Yeah, I already plowed through baseball-almanac.com, with no luck. Didn't see the coaches' listings on the O's website, though. Thanks, but still no luck. Called the office and they put me in touch with Bill Stetka, who apparently is the guy with longevity around there and might be able to help. I left him a vm, hope he doesn't mind another of what I'm sure is many dopey calls like mine.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was just starting to follow baseball in 1987, and was an avid Orioles fanboi looser from then until 2004.

The name you mentioned does not ring a bell at all. And this from the guy who remembered Gordon Dillard's one start in an Orioles uniform in 1988.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I bet the genie knows his name!!!!!!! Try it!

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was an Orioles outfielder in the early 1980s named John Lowenstein. Not sure if he was with the team in any capacity in 1988 though. He retired as a player in '85.

10. Killick

Getting further along in the tape, getting more info, but it's not helping the search. (I keep yelling "SPELL IT!" at the audio.) Seems this guy wasn't really affiliated with the O's, but was one of those kickaround guys, a well-connected scout that all the teams consulted with from time to time. He was one of DiMaggio's closest friends until the end, when they had a falling out. He also organized appearances for Ted Williams, and a huge annual card show in King of Prussia, Pa. Still no friggin' clue.

Interviewee's got marbles in his mouth, or I could at least come closer phonetically.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Eddie Liberatore, scout for the Dodgers organization.

Did a google search for joe dimaggio scout friends and this came up.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-nQGCE9yjO0C&pg=PA374&lpg=PA374&dq=joe+dimaggio+scout+friends&source=bl&ots=7tM4ZoYta7&sig=-BobZMOj8afpBtEVz-YiWWJjHB0&hl=en&ei=SxatS9bTAoH6Nfyv-eMP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CBgQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=joe%20dimaggio%20scout%20friends&f=false

12. Killick

Holy crap! Thanks, Hank! I thought I tried those search terms. Apparently not.
    You just made my day, and saved whatever hair I haven't yet torn out.

Draft saved Draft deleted