1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origins of food

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 17, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've been pondering this for a while. Just about any time I go to a nice restaurant -- usually it's Italian, and almost always above the bar and grill strata -- I'll be surveying the menu and wonder how certain food items came to be. I mean, at what point did Og look at a cow and think, "hmm, you know, let's squees those things near the hind legs and see what happens," followed by, "dang, I bet that white liquid is good to drink," followed by, "you know, if I stir this enough it might become solid."

You watch Man vs. Wild and see Bear Grylls eat the carcas of a zebra, and you understand that primitive man had to eat what was available. But did all the combinations of food we have now boil down to some cosmic coincidence thousands of years ago?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hear cat was quite the delicacy in medieval China.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've often wondered this when baking. Who decided to mix all the ingredients together that go into chocolate chip cookies? How did this stuff develop?

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think about this often. And then I bow down and praise the person who first thought to combine chocolate and peanut butter.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Og Hershey: "hmm ... that white stuff is pretty smooth ... if we cruch up these things coming out of this plant over here, and then throw in some of that residue from those dried stalks over there, I wonder what would happen. Could I eat that?"

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Hear hear!

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I credit Alcohol.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

And who came up with this (from Wikipedia):

Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish.

There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

Haggis somewhat resembles stuffed intestines (pig intestines otherwise known as chitterlings or the kokoretsi of traditional Greek cuisine), sausages and savoury puddings of which it is among the largest types. As the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique puts it, "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour."

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing's changed

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't care if a study was released tomorrow, saying all Chinese food is made from dogs and cats. I'm still going to the buffet and eating like there's no tomorrow.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't think I've had Chinese food in 15 years. I can always find something I'd much rather eat.

12. let's not even get into genetically modified foods...you know how that came to be...We were all teasing the smart kid in grade school and while we were doing that he was discovering ways to increase our chances of getting diseases. Stop teasing the fucked up kids please...they come back to bite you in the ass later.

Draft saved Draft deleted