1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Organization of Pedophiles agrees to settlement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Dec 1, 2006.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Since when is paying when you settle a civil lawsuit a fault for the defendant? Should they settle the suits and then be delinquent on the settlements? That would make them look better?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They should feed the offenders to the criminal authorities.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That is absolutely a false statement. The cover up used to involve transferring the pedophiles from parish to parish. Now the cover up centers around concealing the pedophile's files. Cardinal Roger Mahoney in Los Angeles is the cover boy for the scum that represents the catholic church.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Last I knew they're getting prosecuted.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

...with little to no help from the Organization of Pedophiles.

The reality is that this stretches not only in America but globally. That so little was done and is being done now is an indictment on the very organization itself.

The Catholic Church has earned the title.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Never said it was a fault for the defendant, tony.

But for an organization that did -- for a very long time -- fail to acknowledge a problem within its ranks to continue settling these cases for millions ... instead of taking (perhaps more drastic) steps like, oh, allowing priests to have sex lives and be human once in a while ... maybe stepping into the twentieth century and allowing women in the priesthood ... it seems to imply that they're not very interested in acknowledging the problem now, as long as they can just throw money at the accusers.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I know I'm coming off sounding like a Catholic apologist, but there's not much you can do other than pay people off for everything that happened in the 70s and previous years. Many of the priests alleged to be involved are dead or retired. The McCormack case was startling in that it was a young priest and recent allegations. I guess old habits die hard, but if the church hasn't figured out that people won't wait 30 years anymore to lodge allegations, then it is too stupid to live.

Believe me, the church's liability insurance carrier is making damn sure that at the least, everybody gets the message.

As for the problem being solved by priests marrying -- I fully support the idea of women priests and married priests. But a lot of child molesters are married men, so there's no guarantee a noncelibate priesthood would result in no more kid-diddlers. At the most, it would prevent men from becoming priests for the mere reason of suppressing their urges.

8. Starman

In fact, the newly-elected head of the Organization of Pedophiles was extensively quoted, while he was a Cardinal, as saying the entire pedophile-priest scandal was largely a creation of the media.

:eek: :eek:

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I actually thought it was the last Grand Poohbah of Pedophiles who said it, but it could have been the current one. I remember hearing that as well.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It is EXTREMELY true that outside North America, the church makes the likes of Cardinal Law look like John Walsh when it comes to crimes against children. Score one for the American lawsuit system!

11. Starman

JPII, quite wisely, didn't discuss the matter much, other than to express general sympathy for the victims, and also a hope that priests weren't unjustly accused (something the church certainly does worry about a hell of a lot). In other words, something nobody could really argue with very much, and something that does little to actually address the problem.

OTOH, Ratzinger talked about it a LOT while a Cardinal, and the "media-fueled vendetta against the church" was a theme he kept coming back to, again and again.

12. And they haven't even begun to study what went on in the missions in places like Africa and the south Pacific where, I am assured by investigators working this beat, there was absolutely no accountability.

Draft saved Draft deleted