1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orel Hershiser and Bobby Valentine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He played the OF so he must have a better idea than most.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

As a former outfielder, center is MUCH easier than left or right. You don't have to worry about the corners, picking up the spin, etc. Plus, the any ball the centerfielder can get to is his so aside from worrying about one of the corner outfielders not understanding this rule you can go all-out to get to the ball and not have to worry about getting into anyone else's territory. Plus, if you have good eyesight you can see what pitch the catcher is calling for and, through checking out the hitter's current stance and what he has done in the past, along with where on the plate the catcher is setting up, can usually get a pretty good idea of where he is going to hit the ball. You don't have these advantages in left or right.

I sure they don't telly Bobby to tone it down. He has been amazing.

Speaking of the broadcast of the Red Sox - Rangers game, did anyone else find it a little uncomfortable when they were talking about how Josh Hamilton did not seem happy, that he was aloof even before the game and not himself...this was right before Hamilton's big double to right. Knowing Hamilton's history I was sitting there wondering what they were getting at or trying to say.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

So you bloggers out there should be ripping Francona for not playing Manny in center field. Bobby Valentine says so.
    I understanding playing the corners, etc, but it seems as though every team's worst outfielder is in left.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You obviously have to have a degree of speed to play center field effectively. And guys who play left are generally there because they are either not fast enough for center or their arms are not good enough for right (or center). But Hamilton's clearly fast enough for center; Texas moved him to left to theoretically protect his health.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Center is not MUCH easier. You have to be able to cover a lot of ground, throw reasonably well, and cover for shitty corner outfielders.

You might see the pitch call, but then you should be relaying that to other outfielders. You might see the ball off the bat more easily, but you have to deal with some sharp breaks to the power alleys.

Lots of responsibility, lots of tasks.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

So you want the cf to let both outfielders to know, in between the time the pitch is agreed upon and the time it is delivered, the type and location of the pitch? I would assume you yelling, "INSIDE CURVE" or "HIGH OUTSIDE HEAT" as the pitcher is in motion would tend to piss him off. I could be wrong.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing Bobby feels that way about CF because it's more about athleticism and reaction, and less about playing angles and reading spin and the like. There wasn't much love for Borbon and his abilities, but if he can cover a lot of ground that'll pretty much mask his deficiencies better than playing left would.

I've said for years that Orel was the best ESPN has. I'm glad others are noticing.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OK, beautiful night in SoCal ... Dodger Stadium nice yard ... Lasorda great manager ... but it took only five innings to tell the sory of the paramedic from Santa Cruz who's in a medically-induced coma after getting beat up in the parking lot after Thursday's game because he was wearing Giants colors. We wouldn't want to do actual reporting or anything that might offend the McCourts or Bud Selig from the WWL now, would we?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They are talking about it now.

10. HanSenSE

Just edited my post. But "this has to stop?" Way to take a freakin' stand!

11. HanSenSE

Apologies for the last post. Don't know the victim at all, except he lives near my mom's hometown and he is a Giants fan. And announcers are pretty powerless. Frank McCourt, on the other hand (or does Jamie have custody today?). But enough threadjacking.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Is it just me or do Valentine and Hershiser sound very similar? I can't tell who is talking. And every time I hear Schulman, I am waiting to hear, "Duke baby! Diaper dandies!"

Draft saved Draft deleted