1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregon's new athletic complex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Watching the pearl-clutchers on this thread and elsewhere online is a great spectator sport.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think NIKE is passe......

Take a look at the Pac-12. Out of the 12 schools in the conference, 10 of them are under contract with NIKE (Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Cal, USC, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado).....only ones that aren't are UCLA and Utah.

In the Big Whatever, the only other Under Armour school is Northwestern.
    NIKE has Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Minnesota, Rutgers.
    Adidas has Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Indiana.

3. Fair counterpoint. But man, SO. MUCH. MONEY. Then again, his money, so fuck it.

4. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I actually have no problem at all with Oregon and Phil Knight building this building. I think it's funny that they actually built a couple of rooms, including the coaches room, twice because they didn't like the first one. Agreed, it is their money so they can do whatever they want with it.

Having spent quite a bit of time inside the Woody Hayes Center at Ohio State, it's clear these kinds of facilities are very important when it comes to recruiting. Ohio State's building, while nowhere near Oregon's, is amazing as well. This is what it takes to compete these days.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bill Gates attended Washington. He just did not graduate.

His parents are Washington grads (I think his mom or dad even worked there) and have/had very close ties to the university long before Bill Gates went there.

6. When did Bill Gates attend UW? Before Harvard?

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My bad, he did not, although he spent considerable time there while still in high school. His parents were big Huskies.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

As cool as all the shit is, for me the biggest draw to Oregon would be Eugene itself. Been there probably five times and each time I wanna move there. Love the area, so green, so beautiful and lots to do. Reminds me of a scaled down Seattle.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I have no issue with private donations to athletic programs. I only wish that the donation would be parked for 1-2 years to allow income that it could generate to be allocated to general education programs. (an alternative could be an internal tax).

Oregon increased tuition this year by 3.4%, an increase mitigated by an emergency allocation of $15 million from the legislature, otherwise students would have been paying 5% more. This at a time where yearly inflation is running at 1.8%.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm so confused. I thought NCAA member institutions didn't do anything at all for their athlete-slaves.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and how much money are these athletes/slaves seeing?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Where were you when Florida State was giving out the free shoes?

Draft saved Draft deleted