1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian up next

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Aug 17, 2008.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Rumor has it that Tuesday the Oregonian will be offering buyouts to many people in the newsroom and its plant. 50 must go in the newsroom, 100 company wide. As to the offer, many rumors...from a year to two years salary, plus some medical.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Must go? Is it a union shop because Newhouse doesn't do "must go's" to non-union, although everything is in flux nowadays.

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Not a union shop.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Yikes...have a few buddies from college working there and have sent out messages. I hope at least some, if not all, of them make it through unscathed if/when it happens. Good luck to the rest of the Oregonian and Newhouse gangs, too.

5. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

God, the way things have been going this year, it might be easier just to start threads of the shops that have not or will not have layoffs/buyouts. *sigh*

6. Maybe we are but we just haven't found one yet.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregonian offers two years of pay and two years full benefits to employees of 10 years or more in its buyout offer. Benefits for dependents as well. Very generous package, they must mean business.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not too shabby as far as getting a buyout.

9. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

More info here, complete with internal documents.

http://wweek.com/wwire/?p=12855

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No shit, jackass. Thanks for the permission.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Newark ... Cleveland .... Portland.

Think about this. This is the Newhouse family, once described to me by a long-time Star-Ledger employee as "The Newhouse family doesn't throw out old furniture."
    This is not greedy corprations looking for 24% profit margins. This is -- I believe -- the largest, and until recently very stable, family-owned media group in the country.
    This is far more disturbing to me than Gannett or the Trib or McClatchy or anyone else cutting people.

12. anyone have a feel for what type of margins their papers generally operate with?

Draft saved Draft deleted