1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian taking a lot of heat from readers for this one. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zachpm, Jun 8, 2017.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Isn't that 2.5 percent too much?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you're going that route, then I'd like to see some evidence that newspaper publication will reduce that 2.5%.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What's your point then?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you were about to cross the street and someone leaned over your shoulder and said, "There's a 1 in 40 chance you'll get hit," wouldn't you at least think about crossing?

The deal with this type of perp is that the potential victim has no chance.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Arguments about the recidivism rate of this particular crime are beside the point. It was news, about a public figure. You run with it. I've been in a super regional press box all weekend and there isn't anyone here who said his or her new organization wouldn't have run it.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

See, nope, that's bullshit. Journalists have a duty to the public.

I'm not surprised nobody in a press box would consider not running it, though.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

We kill a million babies a year in this country. I don't think that 2.5 percent bothers too many people.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

We had it at a paper with the circulation under 25,000.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The Oregonian has subscriptions to at least two services that it runs crime suspects, politicians and other newsmakers through for public records, so running a feature subject through them is not really an additional cost other than the reporter's time spent. Most people in the business, I'm thinking, have heard of both that I know of. Many have probably used one or the other, or both.

dirtybird likes this.
  10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just seeing this reply, my friend. Would love to cover a program where access like that still exists.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

We don't. And 25K papers don't spend money any more. This ain't 1990.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

You implied normal sized papers simply can't afford it. The most expensive package in the state I was in was $1,200 a year, could be as low as $360.

If your paper has "no ability to do such things" that's pretty impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted