1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian taking a lot of heat from readers for this one. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zachpm, Jun 8, 2017.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And let's be honest - the bullshit "columnist never covers us" argument is just a way to divert attention from the fact that fanbois there are cheering for an admitted child molester. That's when they aren't making excuses for his crime and trying to rationalize it and figuring out ways he's really innocent ... even as his current statements fly in the face of that.

Oh yeah, "he's not that person anymore."

inthesuburbs likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I hate this sentiment. Now we're denying people educational opportunities at a public school?

People commit crimes. They face consequences. Once those consequences are fulfilled, they should be a member of society again.

This crime is particularly awful, but we can't put all of them on an island because we don't like the thought of them walking around us.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's fine. In general I agree with you.

He did this when he was 15. I'm not cool with dropping a registered sex offender into a college environment just three years after the crime.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

So when could he go to college?

5. PCLoadLetter

Don't have a great answer for this. How about when he's no longer a registered sex offender? How about taking online classes until then?

How about more than three years after committing felony sex crimes?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Can he work at McDonald's, a restaurant frequented by children daily? Can he travel to a national park, where families camp?

This is just my opinion, but it's possible that your idea of college - that is, the privilege you perceive it to be - plays a role in whether you think a sex offender should be a part of the environment.

7. PCLoadLetter

No, I don't perceive it to be a privilege.

I perceive it to be a place where a lot of teenagers are thrown together to try to enter adulthood together in tight spaces. A lot of them struggle to handle it -- particularly it terms of their behavior with people of the opposite sex. I think putting a registered sex offender in that environment -- a guy who is just three years removed from molesting a kindergartner -- is a really, really bad idea.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm not EVER copping to being a child molester when I'm not. Maybe you have no principles, but I've got money and if I have to spend it to protect myself, then that's what it's there for.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bad idea for whom? Him? Women?

In the sense that he'll re-offend? That he'd be a candidate to unusually prey on unsuspecting women?

If some woman had been assaulted by him, I think you would have heard from her - well, her lawyer - as she sues Oregon State for hundreds of millions of dollars.

Perhaps we still will.

Molestation is awful. Sexual assault is awful. That's not up for debate.

What's up for debate is how many rights those people ought to have and what they ought to be able to do.

10. PCLoadLetter

Yes, bad idea for women. And yes, he'd be a candidate to prey on unsuspecting women.

Look, I get that some of you want to get into a "when does he get to live a life?" debate. That's fine. It's a valid question.

He was a student at Oregon State three years after repeatedly sexually molesting a 6 year old. That's absurd.

Are you OK with a registered sex offender living in college dorms?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're an adult. He was a 15-year-old boy when he made that decision. I read the story in Sports Illustrated and it sounds like he did as he was told. I'm not saying I believe him or that he belongs in the majors, but in that particular area, his age clearly matters.

I posted the question on the MLB thread, but maybe it should have gone here. The draft when a team might take him is going on now. Through 10 rounds, he hasn't been taken.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted