1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian taking a lot of heat from readers for this one. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zachpm, Jun 8, 2017.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Versus confessing to molesting a six year old and registering as a sex offender?

Is this a serious question?

FileNotFound and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm trying to come up with the circumstance in which I would tell my teenage son to confess to a felony he didn't commit. I can't come up with one.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if the columnist was going to the CWS (if Oregon State made it) if this issue had never happened? If so, then I have no problem with it. If not, then it is justifiable criticism. What the hell is he going to get in Omaha? Is he going to uncover anything?
    To me, it's almost the same as when Michael Vick played his first game after the suspension. All the columnists and national media flooded to that game. Why? To report that he completed 10 of 18 passes for 198 yards? Or to keep on eye on Vick to make sure he didn't sneak away and kill a dog during halftime.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Come on, man. You're a lawyer, right? You've never seen anyone plead to something because the evidence looks bad and they'd rather do two years than potentially 20?

I don't think that happened in this case. But we know it happens.

SnarkShark likes this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If I was innocent, I'd fight it. No way am I copping to that shit.

6. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

It's hard to believe that some don't see why the columnist would go to Omaha. The player wasn't in the news, and now he is. Whether the columnist wrote about any games before the guy became national news is of no concern.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think people are more annoyed that he ignored the team all season and then jumps on the plane to Omaha. He's kind of become Mariotti-like in that he doesn't get out much. He hosts a radio show, does some TV - shows up for the big events.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It just became a big event.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

Those people need to grow up.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I meant Mariotti.

I get it, I don't know where he is getting most of his income whether TV/radio or print - but it isn't like OSU came out of nowhere or the Blazers had a long playoff run. I do know he's had plenty of time writing about how the Blazers won't allow people to come on his radio show and aren't as "fun" as the Warriors.

11. PCLoadLetter

Nobody gives a shit about college baseball.

People care about the Blazers.

If I'm a Portland columnist, I'm not driving 70 miles to watch a college baseball game to write a column nobody's going to read.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Ahhh the internet, where one can proudly say there's no way they'd not spend thousands of dollars to increase their chances of going to jail.

Draft saved Draft deleted