1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian taking a lot of heat from readers for this one. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zachpm, Jun 8, 2017.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He hasn't fulfilled all of his obligations, because if he had we wouldn't know about this.

It came to light because of an error by the local police. He had fulfilled all his obligations.

I wouldn't want that person on my college campus.

Me either. And by all indications, he no longer is that person. When his conviction is expunged from his record in August, he will have fulfilled all of his legal obligations according to the state of Washington legal system. Which is why the president of OSU has indicated Heimlich will be able to return to school and play baseball again next season.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

C'mon, man.

I'm glad he hasn't molested any other kindergartners in the six whole years since he last molested a kindergartner. Check his ID, and I'll bet it shows he's the same person, New Agey bullshit notwithstanding.

And I suspect he'll be welcome on campus as long as he's still the same person with the low ERA.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And if he was starring for Oregon, you'd take this same stance about him, right?

4. micropolitan guy

Yeah, people never change. Mistakes at 15 define the rest of your life.

Had he not been a baseball player, no one would even know a thing about it.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

When you're 15 and you diddle a 6-year-old, yeah, I don't have a problem with that defining the rest of your life. And if he wasn't a baseball player for your favoritest team, I have a feeling you wouldn't be so generous to look past his crimes.

But it's obvious you only define him by the uniform he wears.

6. micropolitan guy

And if he was starring for Oregon, you'd take this same stance about him, right?

Had no problem with Rodney Woods,Colt Lyerla, Jeremiah Masoli, LeGarrette Blount or many other UO athletes playing after their legal problems were resolved.
    And if he didn't play baseball, we wouldn't know a thing about it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  7. BurnsWhenIPee

Just curious, earlier in this thread, you heard on the by and by that this whole thing was an offshoot of a nasty divorce in the family, he denied it ever happened, passed 2 lie detector tests and was out of town at a football camp at the time of one of the allegations. And he pleaded guilty because it was the only way it would ever go away.

Now you are talking about how he's a changed person and he isn't the same person he was when the crimes happened.

Have you come to grips with the fact he did do the crimes? If that's the case, what changed your mind?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm quoting — and replying to — myself, in part because I haven't figured out how to contribute to a thread without replying to a specific post. Also, consider this an update of sorts to this earlier post. With about double the sample size now, it's still 100 percent the same dynamic. People I know who aren't into sports and aren't connected to Oregon State think it's a no-brainer that this was reported. Again, they seem surprised it's a debate.

Some of them have suggested that it's because of sports that anyone sees it otherwise. It does make me wonder if we, as a society, are fully aware, or ever will be, of the ways in which allegiance to a sports team — or even a predilection for sports fandom in general — prejudices us about topics such as these in ways that don't exist when a guilty person isn't a celebrated sports figure.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Is there anyone familiar with the Oregonian's coverage of Oregon State before and after this story? Since the publication, have the Beavers attempted to shut them out with "No comment" responses and lack of availability? Or has it been business as usual?

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

If I told you fighting would cost you five figures and raise your chances of going to jail, you'd fight the good fight?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The guy who wrote the story is the beat writer - I don't think the team or fans have a problem with him. It's the columnist who just attended his first OSU game on Saturday people have the beef with. Doesn't write a word about the team all year, then his first words are after the story hits and he's off to Omaha.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, that's what happens when your star player molests a kid.

And lets be realistic here: this is college baseball. No one gives a shit about college baseball. There's a reason why the college football and basketball championships travel to massive stadiums around the country while the college World Series is at a fixed site in Omaha, Nebraska. Be happy there's a beat writer assigned to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted