1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian editorial page editor dies (after paying a college student for sex)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

A good time can be had by all.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

This.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Since he didn't pay her that day, does she have a claim to some of his cash when his will is executed? After all, he still does owe her for it!

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

At least he wasn't "unresponsive" before sex.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You can blow enough to get nailed in my state by having two beers. That's not even a poor decision.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Having two beers and then driving is, in fact, a poor decision.

7. CNY

CNY Member

The "family friend" who provided the false information about Caldwell's death was an Oregonian editor who lied to her own paper about what was going on.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-28370-the_oregonian_fires_editor_who_provided_false_information_about_the_death_of_bob_caldwell_the_papers_editorial_page_editor.html

Needless to say, this is another big mark against a paper that has suffered its share of them.

8. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the person who wrote the original story about the circumstances of the death. Nothing like getting duped by a colleague. No doubt that person has on his conscience the fact the paper was forced to report the truth (not that it might not have printed the truth anyway).

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Agreed. Even more so if you know you know in advance that's all it takes to get you arrested.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The fact that the editor is trying to pretend she was fired because she didn't provide "all in the information" in an effort to protect the family is just absurd. She knowingly passed off something that was false. There is a huge difference between that and simply saying nothing. If I were the Oregonian editor in chief, I absolutely would have fired her.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

" " "

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree. 100 percent.

As journalists, it's not uncommon to sometimes be awkwardly in the middle of a news story that could reflect poorly on a friend or family member.

You either suck it up and tell the truth or keep your mouth shut.

Draft saved Draft deleted