1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian editorial page editor dies (after paying a college student for sex)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Paragon of journalistic virtue, that Gawker. You can tell by the name alone.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

For what it's worth, Bob's daughter posted a comment on OregonLive:

I am Kate Caldwell, Bob's daughter. This is the text of a message my mom sent out earlier today:

"To all of our friends and family:

I fear that today's news about the circumstances of Bob's death may have caused you more sadness. I apologize on his behalf. Bob was a kind, loving and fair man. He would have understood why The Oregonian needed to print the story and he also would have regretted the anguish that it caused to those he loves -- both outside and inside of the newspaper. We love him unconditionally. Thanks to all of you for your loving support."

I speak for all my sisters when I say that we loved our dad more than anything.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

That post showed compassion for a husband and father who was probably very troubled.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Or just a man of the flesh. None of his sins are exactly uncommon for well-to-do aging men in big cities with somewhat prominent positions.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

I say troubled because of the DUI incident.

After looking at the Oregonian message board, they really had no choice to publish the actual circumstances since they had originally written the story which didn't mention the pay-for-sex angle.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was counting the DUI, too. Drinking and driving isn't the sign of a troubled person, necessarily; it's the sign of a poor decision maker.

7. Do you think an editorial page editor is well-to-do?
    He musta had a sugar momma for a wife.

If this guy had enough money to make it rain for some poor college chick, maybe that bank CEO was right. ;)

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oregonian's rep has always been that it pays remarkably well. Not sure if that's still the case, but for a guy who had been there as long as he had, I'd guess the paycheck was a lot higher than you think.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If the O hadn't have reported it, Willamette Week would have. The story was going to com eout, the O just beat its competitor to the punch.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's the one where you suck on each other's knees.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Poor Bob just missed steak and bj day

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If the lead editorial page editor at The Oregonian wasn't making six figures, I'd be surprised.

Draft saved Draft deleted